[SUGGESTION] Smarter tank buy algorithm

paroxysm

(edited)

Rather than buy a tank and have no control who it goes to, how about a succeeding menu following the tank purchase confirmation menu to select which team member you want the tank to go to? Might prevent the very frustrating situation where a newb gets control of the tank and ..., everyone knows what follows. More homework for Jackie once he figures out how to control who gets a tank :)

Edited by paroxysm

I like it random even though it can be frustrating at times. Your method is far to bias as it will alienate others if they are never chosen. Rather than choosing, have something like a random tank checklist.

Say 10 infected players all number 1-10. A tank is being spawn and a random number will be chosen, let that be number 5. Number 5 died as a tank but another tank is about to spawn. So now it checks the list of whoever just had control of a tank and see Number 5 already been one. Now he can't be chosen anymore and the random tank goes to Number 3. This way everyone can be a tank and get experience on how to use one.

Jerkoff gots it right. The game does a roulette on who gets tank, the higher your points on infected the more chances you get in the roulette (A good spit can do this easily or even punching a survivor as a tank), so having that checklist would be good.. Just because someone is new doesnt mean they shouldnt be given a chance.

Edited by ValenAlvern

Jerkoff gots it right. The game does a roulette on who gets tank, the higher your points on infected the more chances you get in the roulette (A good spit can do this easily or even punching a survivor as a tank), so having that checklist would be good.. Just because someone is new doesnt mean they shouldnt be given a chance.

Those are only for director spawned Tanks, not Tanks bought through the menu.

(edited)

Yes, the director spawned tanks work fine, bought tanks always go to the players with the lowest connection numbers in that team. As long said players are not spawned, they will always get a bought tank. The problem comes when there are newbs holding those low connection numbers meaning that every bought tank will go to them if they aren't spawned. This is a real problem and is discouraging to players who put in hard work to be able to buy those tanks only to watch them get wasted.

Edited by paroxysm

As a player who has often been a victim of continuous tank spawn phenomenon, (on the recieving end, and I know that you've been personally frustrated with me Paro, and I apologize profusely for my newbish tank skills) I would like to see some fix to this implemented as well.

If we can't necessarily control who the tank goes to, could we perhaps implement a command that would allow you to pass the tank and reset your spawn timer? I know that you can pseudo pass the tank by going !afk then rejoining the team, but it only allows you to do that two or three times before you're locked out from transfering teams for that round...happened to me last night as a matter of fact.

Unless the current system is just a cruel way of making it easier on survivor teams that are having multiple tanks spawned on them....

Perhaps have the system setup for whoever is buying a tank, gets control of the tank? :/

The problem with this approach is most of the time, if you buy the tank, you won't have enough points left to heal when you need to. In fact, that is one of the advantages of being able to pick who gets the tank, you can hand it to someone who you have more confidence in their skills or to a friend or to one who can heal maybe multiple times. The idea of being able to control this hulk is what makes this idea attractive.

Perhaps have the system setup for whoever is buying a tank, gets control of the tank? :/

The problem with this approach is most of the time, if you buy the tank, you won't have enough points left to heal when you need to. In fact, that is one of the advantages of being able to pick who gets the tank, you can hand it to someone who you have more confidence in their skills or to a friend or to one who can heal maybe multiple times. The idea of being able to control this hulk is what makes this idea attractive.

You don't need to buy the Tank as soon as you get 50 points. It could also avoid Tanks living forever too...plus it alleviates the problem of a newb getting a pro's Tank.

I like this better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBFAQ1rOBDk

(edited)

Passing tanks to random players is virtually zero control over it which is not what the purpose of this suggestion was. What jackie has is acceptable.

I might get into sourcepawn later on this summer.

Edited by paroxysm

I like the new system, great work Jackie!! (encountered some bugs in the server since implementation though)

2 Questions:

1. what happens if you buy a tank, spawn, but then die before you change into the tank?

2. Does this mean we can rocket a tank in now? (God that would be awesome :D)

1. Try not to. The system will simply wait for you to spawn again.

2. Yes. You will have to time it properly though.

(Watch the video I posted a few posts up)

Oh i see, i hadn't stuck around for the end of the video. Really anxious to see what kind of crazy plays this new gimmick brings up!

Oh i see, i hadn't stuck around for the end of the video. Really anxious to see what kind of crazy plays this new gimmick brings up!

Hulk Smash?