Insane Wizard Build

lousiest

Was in a pug on Act IV today, and met this Wizard called nickerz. He has this build that made Act IV Inferno into easy-mode. He was able to spam Frost Nova continuously, and enemies would just stay frozen around us all the time. They couldn't even touch us :o He says the secret is to stack critical hit chance and pair that with the Wizard's passive called Critical Mass. Critical Mass reduces cooldown of skills by 1 second whenever you crit. Since his crit % was so high (he said 60%), he was able to bring down his cooldowns to 0 and just spam his skills. He also used this other skill called Energy Twister that increases crit %. We killed bosses without them even laying a single hit. It was unbelievable

His skill build (and runes):

1. Energy Twister (Wicked Mind)

2. Energy Armor (Prismatic Armor)

3. Diamond Skin (Crystal Armor)

4. Explosive Blast (Chain Reaction)

5. Frost Nova (Cold Snap)

6. Slow Time (Stretch Time)

Passives:

1. Blur

2. Critical Mass

3. Evocation

But this build doesn't work on elites that have desecrate, plague etc, because for Frost Nova to freeze enemies, the Wizard has to stand right beside the enemy, in which case desecrate, plague, etc killed him.

Pretty sure this build doesnt really work. Any elite mobs in inferno destroy you. I have my Crit Hit % up to 43.5%, and I can't get enough crits to keep frost nova going constantly. Plus that video on youtube was posted soon after the game had been released, before patches. Not sure exactly what the guy you were playing with was doing differently, but i tried following it with the same skills and i cant do crap. No perma freeze, not enough crits.

Partnered another wiz that was able to perma frost and he lead us all the way to Diablo. But like you pointed out, he did have trouble with elites, particularly those that desecrate, plague, and are fast. In those situations, we had to kill them normally (tanks tank, ranges dps).

I've been sticking with the basic poison hydra and ranged disintegrate/electrocute stuff. Gonna wait a bit and see if any more nerfs happen before starting to build out in different directions.

That said, I'm not sure there is a wizard anywhere that doesn't have trouble with fast elites and yellows. If it's fast, it's a problem.

Query: Do true named uniques rares (yellows that spawn in certain spots with a true unique name like the caretaker just after you rescue Cain and exit the cathedral, others..., give NV? I don't think they do. And that sucks.