More slots?

Codrut

GC Coalition Member

In the last time i see many players bring this up. They wanted more slots so we play like 11 vs 11 or even more. THe max i see was a 26 players servers(all in same team too :D). Of course there are pros and cons. I will list some of them and i would love if you guys do it too. I also want to ask Jackie if all of this is possible.

Pros:

1)More players join.

2)For those who love big games, it will be fun.

Cons:

1) Possibly there will be lag.

2) Teams can get realy unbalanced.

Is late and i am tired. I will write others if it comes and people dont write them already.

Have fun :)

another con to that many slots is server stability, with the 10v10 and 2 spec it crashes more than we would like, with more slots it could crash even more. A better alternative would be another server, and that is currently under discussion.

You missed the big reason to why there are only a few servers over 10vs10.

Those servers running 12vs12, etc., crash, in general, once per hour, on average. They're highly unstable.

This game was designed on a modified version of the Source engine to handle 8 players maximum. This version of the engine can be somewhat-safely pushed to 18 players.

Beyond 18 players, this version of the engine becomes ridiculously unstable, and the value of instability rises exponentially per additional player past 18.

10vs10 is already a lot of fun. There's not going to be more fun having an extra player or two on the team, with it crashing multiple times per campaign.

Ideally, a server running 8vs8 with 2 spec slots at maximum, with 2 more reserve slots that can't be occupied by players would actually keep the actual slottage to 18 physical slots and would

keep it at the maximum stability for a large server. I don't think anyone is going to be for pushing it beyond 10vs10, though. The issue isn't lag at all - it's simply that the static array for maxclients

doesn't allow it.

This may be a question for sm, but if it's a static array how do they push it past 8? Just thinking from a computer programmer standpoint static memory allocation would be impossible to expand unless it's on the stack or heap?

I honestly think the stability issues come from the plugins, I mean, you have 5+ plugins each with their own data on each player stored as arrays with like 3 dimensions. It would be nice if sourcemod made some kind of get/set map for each player so instead of 100 arrays you get one centralized place for data.