Ping dive

TheDude

So i'm a regular left4dead2 player and since a couple of weeks ago, i'm having problems from time to time.

my ping is always around 100, but then it suddenly drops to 1500-3000. i never get disconnected completely though, i just can't move anymore. can't even type !afk which is especially annoying when playing as survivor.

the console keeps backplaying this message hundreds of times when it happens:

StartGestureSceneEvent tried to start sequence 'namvet_gesture_cough2' (975) without Activity!

or a message like that

Any help from the computer geniuses in our community?

Any advice is appreciated

The Dude

Probably you Internet Service Provider. With a previous internet provider that I had, if a lot of people in a dense area all get internet, it causes a sink-hole which throttles the internet causing lag spikes. Company went out a few days later to add.. something, I forget, to reduce this so it doesnt happen as much. I've heard of other providers doing that, so I think its the norm. You could always call them and find out.

I have a feeling if it was the server, everyone would have gotten that lag spike and from your post it doesnt sound like anyone else was having that problem.

You need to determine if its your equipment - router/modem - or if it's your ISP.

You can use tracert to see where it is taking so long.

When your connection goes to crap again do:

Windows Key + R, type 'cmd', press enter.

Type 'tracert 216.52.148.77'

Post the results.

Happened continuously this morning, to the point of disconnection for 'no steam logon'

This is what the command brought up. It's in Dutch but i translated the Dutch parts as accurately as possible in brackets next to it:

C:/Users/Ar>tracert 216.52.148.77

Traceren van de route naar 216.52.148.77 via maximaal 30 hops (traceren van de route=tracing the route to; via=through; maximaal=maximum)

1 79 ms 1260 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1

2 * * * Time-out bij opdracht. (time-out bij opdracht=time-out when executing command)

3 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

4 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

5 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

6 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

7 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

8 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

9 * * * Time-out bij opdracht.

10 * * 3488 ms c-216-52-148-77.managed-vds.internap-chicago.nfoservers.com [216.52.148.77]

De trace is voltooid. (De trace is voltooid=the trace has been completed)

Can you direct connect to the modem rather than through the router, just to test if the router is the issue?

Probably not. I think it's behind the TV, which has to be dismounted to get to it. I'll check.

Also it seems to only happen in the morning and afternoon (European time). It hasn't occurred in the evening yet.

I'm assuming that your internet connection was garbage in general when it happened, not just your connection to the GC server.

If you're on a laptop I'd suggest plugging it in directly to the router and disabling the onboard wifi, if that doesn't resolve it I'd plug it directly into the modem.

If you're on a desktop(or laptop) you can download NetStumbler and it'll produce a graph of your wifi signal strength, if the signal strength goes to garbage or drops out you can narrow it down to either the router your local machine - with bets on the router.

After a bit of Googling it looks like that DIR-825 has had numerous hardware revisions and firmware upgrades to fix various issues, I would check and make sure if you have the newest firmware from it's web interface - http://192.168.0.1 - and perhaps even flash it with DD-WRT.