Piecing together a gaming machine

Skywalker

So, I've taken your advice, dweez, and picked up a $96 motherboard from heaven. Now, I just need the rest of the PC!

Any suggestions on Case Brand, Power supply output? (That's obviously the first step in getting this PC up and running.)

Secondly, and more importantly, is this XP 1800 processor that's been "stepped" the same as the 2.1 gHz as fast and reliable as, say, the XP2600 with the 333 bus speed? It's listed as $161.

(edited)

Well, the case doesn't really matter. It all depends on what you like.

For Power Supply, I personally like the Antec TruePower PS' cuz they have dedicated power per rail but Enermax and Vantac are both quality PS' as well.

The CPU I order (an 1800+) has the same stepping as the 2600+ so I will let you know how it performs when I get it in. Also, when I purchased it, it was $57.

EDITED TO PUT PARAGRAPH BREAK IN THE CORRECT SPOT.

Edited by dwEEziL

The case doesn't really matter? Oh, I must disagree. Performance-wise, I will agree and say that the case doesn't matter nearly as much as case manufacturers would like for you to believe. However, If you want a high quality case that is MUCH lighter than the standard steel case, I would go with aluminum (I use Lian-Li myself, but there are tons of aluminum manufacturers now). Also, when it comes time to mod it, aluminum is a lot easier to cut than steel. Now, aluminum is also a lot more expensive than steel. If you like the antec style server cases, you can price shop between Chenming Dragons, chieftech, antec, and a couple other brands because they are all the same case. Thermaltake's Xaser series is also really nice. Just shop around (I put a lot of links in the modding topic) and find a style you like. If you can't find it cheap enough, post the model, and we'll see if we can find you a better deal.

I recommend thermaltake, antec, and enermax PSU's. I use Enermax personally, but I have had experience with all three.

When I originally posted that, I made it one big paragraph and then broke it up between ideas but I accidentally put the second sentence with the second paragraph. It is fixed now.

What I was saying is, basically, except for some minor cooling benefites from aluminum, cases are pretty much just aesthetics. If you are crunched for cash, the case would be the first thing in my book to "skimp" on cuz you can always upgrade a case and not worry about "compatibility" for the most part.

Now, for you, (and me to some extent) the case is really important because it is more or less our stage, where we showcase our systems.

If you want a recomendation on cases...I prefer aluminum (lighter, more cooling effeciant), I like Lian Li but as long as it has a removable motherboard tray you are doing good, and as Rooster said, aluminum is easier to cut when you mod.

hrm...I really doubt that an +1800 is the same as the 2600+. So your Overclockin the 1800+ eh? Im running the 1800+, if you get the 1800+ make sure the multiplier isnt locked or you will only be able to increase your buss speed and I really doubt an 1800+ will compare to a 2600+ that runs on a 333Mhz bus, especially cuz its bus speed is only 266.

NOFX, unless you have modded your CPU, yours is locked as well. None of the new chips are unlocked (unless you are lucky enough to get one of the research models which aren't supposed to be shipped).

If I can OC this to 2100+ levels then I am happy. I bought this one for $57 and am selling my 2100+ for $75. I am also skeptical about being able to set the FSB to 166 and hit 2600+ speeds.

(edited)

yea my CPU is locked...I can only increase bus speeds and to around 145Mhz whether my ram is in sync or my RAM stays at 133Mhz. So I really doubt your gonna get that 1800+ to 166Mhz(333). But I was able to get mine up to 1.71 which I believe is around 2100+.

yea Im kinda scared to take a no. 2 pencil to the CPU :ph34r:

Edited by NOFX

AHH thouse basterds have my stuff at FedEx the mobo and the prossers but they didn't deliver it today cuz it was not scheduled too...Friggen got there 5 mins after they closed AHHHHHH I don't want to wait till tomorow. Oh well my Heatsink is still in NC so guess it dosn't really matter

anyone know what time FedEx opens in the morning?

Edited by Slaphappy

Thanks for the advice, guys. The links are great help too, Rooster.

Dweez, do you remember meeting me at Grand Fodder's LAN party?

Soon I'll have a worthy machine to bring to the hoop-lahs. When can I expect the next groovy LAN party near Atlanta?

Rooster, you got an idea how I am supposed to get the stock heatsink/fan off my old GF3?

If I didn't tell you, when I replaced my GF3 I noticed that the fan was seized. Odd that it didn't cause a performance hit. I want to replace the stock h/f with once so I can still use the GF3 or sell it. I was just gonna grab a thermaltake one and attach it.

Xtasy GF3 Ti 200.  The H/F has a couple of plastic pins that go through the card.  I can easily pinch them and remove the pins but the h/f actually seems to be "glued" (of a sorts) to the gpu.

Ouch. Thermal Adhesive. Mine was like that too man. I just sucked it up and took that bad boy off with a little elbow grease and a flat screwdriver :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: