pet cold resistance

TheDude

So i'm having a discussion with my mom about what to do with our cat at night.

At the moment it is -14°C outside (dunno what that is in fahrenheit). Our cat spends all her time inside during the day. She hates going outside and rarely does it.

At night however she has to go out. I think that a cat that spends 2/3 of her life in a warm home would have trouble surviving the night. My proposal was to keep her inside, in my room. I'd make a litter box and if she started whining to go outside, i'd just let her.

My parents are against it however. They're also worried (well my mom is, my dad prefers his cats dead), but don't really want to take her inside.

any cat knowledge or input is much appreciated.

I've put out a box with a big blanket under our garage. The garage is not enclosed though. Problem is there are a lot of cats around, and i'm afraid she'll have to defend her spot.

She goes outside at night, because we have an alarm system that scans the first floor. She's not allowed upstairs.

I'm with your dad myself, frikken hate cats.

I will say however the cats on our farm live in a 50 year old plus dirt floored pole barn with nothing but some straw bails and deer/pheasant entrails in temps down to -30C and usually do fine, but then again they are farm cats.

+1 to dead cats but cats are survivors. It is a rare thing that cats die from cold. They will find a warm spot, from the engine block of a car, to an underground sewer. Cats are almost wild animals at their tamest and have the same instincts as racoons or other creatures of the night. And taste delicious with stir fried veggies ;)

Edited by Preacher

I want to, but my parents don't think it's necessary.

Why inside the bathroom though?

You said

because we have an alarm system that scans the first floor
so I doubt you have an alarm in your bathroom (toilet).

My cat spent his life in bathroom because of his attitude and behavior. Sometimes we would kick him outside on a balcony, but just for 5-15 min to cool him off. If your cat screams at night (they are night creatures) buy special peels to keep her calm. We didn't sterilize our cat, instead we bought those peels.

I knew a three-legged cat--it lost a leg because it was sleeping under the hood of a car close to the engine, and someone started the car!!! Nice cat, but is that the fate you want for your cat??? Three legs!!

Hey, and what's wrong with being a moron?

Unless your cat is really young, really old or one of the hairless varieties, it will be fine outside. It will find or create a place to keep warm.

When you decide to have a pet in a house you also take a promise to keep it safe. My cat is part of my family. Imaging if your father doesnt like you anymore and wants to throw you outside every night from now on, how would you feel about it?

Comparing a pet to a human being is one of the problems with some pet owners. It's a pet, not a human. Animals can still be "part of the family" while being kept as outside pets.

And you are not the pet's father - you're his owner/master. If the cat is not de-clawed, it's perfectly safe outside... that's where it was made to be. We (as humans) domesticate certain animals and not others... that doesn't somehow imbue those domesticated animals with suddenly becoming "human."

I get that you think your cat is the same as a human. I don't understand it, but I get it. We're all entitled to having pets however we think best. :)

• Like 1

It takes a LOT more to mess up an animal's (bred over millions of years) resistance to the elements than a few years indoors. To respect any creature is to appreciate it for what it is. And a cat - timid or brave, playful or reclusive - is, first and foremost, a cat.

Same with a dog, a goldfish, etc.

Regarding your specific situation, perhaps you and your parents can come to a compromise? If you're concerned that your cat isn't properly acclimated to spending a night out in the cold (and it is, but regardless)... maybe you can start with an hour a night, then 2 hours, then 3, etc? Eventually you may be comfortable with it sleeping outside at night. But whatever happens, good luck and I hope you can all reach a common decision. Dealing with parents when one becomes an adult is a whole other dynamic.

Edited by Baloosh

Dealing with parents when one becomes an adult is a whole other dynamic.

First of all... I am an adult.

Second... you're stewpid

Third... while a creature may have gained traits from it's previous generations, its personal situation has a much larger impact on its body. Otherwise, why would cats (or humans for that matter) be able to get fat?

I've noticed that she doesn't really develop as much of a winter fur anymore as when we first took her in.

I didn't say you weren't an adult. Sorry if I offended you.

The Law of Thermodynamics dictates whether or not any animal gains weight. Heredity has a bit to do with it, but not much beyond a propensity for overall size/shape.

Once she's exposed to more of nature's elements, she'll quickly grow a winter coat again.

Lastly, I'm stewpid? Then you, Sir, are a nincompoop. A BELGIAN nincompoop at that!

*burns rubber and peels out down the street*

(edited)

I didn't say you weren't an adult. Sorry if I offended you.

That didn't offend me at all.

Lastly, I'm stewpid? Then you, Sir, are a nincompoop. A BELGIAN nincompoop at that!

That doesn't make any sense: you can't use the word Belgian and then follow it with an insult. That's like saying i'm an awesome tool, or a supercool idiot.

Edited by TheDude