Steam down? Having issues?

samurai nightling

So its 12:39am Sat 1/26. Tried starting up Steam, constanly getting an update thingy, that then crashes and says Steam needs to be online to update, please check my connection. Obviously I'm online, I'm posting this aren't I? I try google searching the problem, but also anything that has to do with steamcommunity, like their forums wont pull up either? Chance that their servers are down right now? The download starts for the update but its super slow, then errors out after like 5 minutes. Anyone else have this problem? I was excited to play tonight, figures they would have issues.

Also I already checked my registry offline thing in the steam folder and its set to 0, in case any of you googled that answer. Was already at 0, not 1, so I didn't need to change it.

No idea whats going on.

(edited)

Tried deleting clientregistry.blob first, no success. Looks like I might have a fresh install today, still doing it. Now to move all of my games, whould I just drag them out to like a folder on my desktop? I don't even know what folders all the games are in....or is it just the steamapps folder?

Edited by samurai nightling

Yeah so I tried logging into steam via firefox, lets me login, sent a code to my email to access it from a new computer, entered it, success, then when i click the go to Steam button it just sits, loading, never going anywhere. Looks like that is also trying to go to store.steampowered.com. That site wont load for me right now, period. It just stays loading, nothing comes up. This is very weird.

You can just delete everything in the steam folder but steamapps, when you reinstall it'll find your games. You sound like you may have a network issue more than anything now. You get the samething in Chrome? Run Malware Bytes Antimalware and make sure you're not infected?

i had a similar problem: steam would begin to update itself and then stop/crash due to connection problem something like that. I couldn't find a problem, but then I've gotten an email from anti-virus comp i use saying it was there problem. I had to patch it. 2 month later the same crap, i'm calling to antivirus idiots in order to get any answer. But it wasn't them, kinda! Antivirus automatically blocked everything except my internet browsers. I figured it out 1 week later, lol. So check firewall and allowances.

Disabled firewall completely, still couldn't access website. Checked Microsoft Security Essentials, its not blocked or anything. Malware bytes full scan came up with 0 files, all clear.

STILL can't access the website to reinstall Steam. I deleted/uninstalled everything, all my games, all Steam/Valve related content. Didn't help. I'm at my wits end on how to fix this except totally reformatting my harddrive, which probably won't work with my luck. I'm thinking of calling my ISP just to make sure they can't or aren't blocking any IPs from me for some reason.

(edited)

Went ahead and restored to 6 days ago, and I have played since then about 2 days ago. This brought back steam and everything, but it's still not updating, giving the same initial problem I started this topic with. And I still can't access the website for Steam.

Though I found one posters comment interesting, almost like its my same problem.

"I finally found a solution that worked for me. I changed my DNS from my ISP default to the Google public DNS and voila! Everything is working. I can even go to the steam website now. It seems like the new update is somehow causing a conflict with certain ISP DNS servers...or something. I know just enough about computers to be dangerous."

Any of you computer wizzes know if I should try this and how I go about doing it?

Edited by samurai nightling

It's in your wireless router; provided you have one. Just change the dns servers to Googles - the info is all over the internet. Did that the instant Comcast decided to be "helpful" with web site errors by "improving" 404 pages...

That's it. Plug them in your router, all done.