CD go boom!

Flitterkill

You work with computers long enough you'll see everything.

Cleaning office. Stack of cd-roms; maybe 8+ years old or so. Do I need them? Lets take a look whats on these things...

And now I can add "cd-rom exploding inside dvd-rom drive" to the list of entertaining computer events I've experienced.

WP_20130129_001.jpg

Silver flakes and plastic shards everywhere. Had to use a garden trowel to wedge out some pieces that got stuck at a 90 degree angle deep inside the drive. Surprisingly, the drive is fine - at least reading; not sure I'll trust it for burning though...

Why did it go explodey? No idea...

• Like 1

GC Board Member

Well let me expand on my description (really? lmgtfy?)

Seated correctly, no cracks. When everyone started rocking burnable cd-roms 10+ years ago the worry was ink degradation rendering the disc data unusable. Never in a million years did I think I'd have to worry about the plastic degrading so that the worry now becomes cd-roms exploding in the drive.

It was impressive... When it went, it went with a really loud bang.

Impressive.

I'm guessing the CD had physical damage/flaws that you couldn't/didn't see, as polycarbonate doesn't really break down unless exposed to long term UV.

These guys tested CDs all the way up to 175X(35,000RPM) way back in 2003, and never had one come apart until they released it from the shaft - then they fly across the room, up walls, and explode. You can find plenty of video on Youtube now too, and Mythbusters did an episode on it.