Has anyone tried downsampling?

VooDooPC

(edited)

I was bored so I wanted to try out downsampling screenshots. For anyone that doesn't know it's a simple technique used to get better looking screenshots. I'm a total newb at it since I've just been messing around with it today.

The basic concept is you force your video card to run a game at a really high resolution, slap all the anti-aliasing on it you can, even if it runs at 5fps. You then take your screenshot and rescale it in Photoshop to a lower resolution. This keeps the texture clarity and edge crispness of the higher resolution but scaled to a lower resolution, it looks really good.

bioshockds13ccoz.png

bioshockds2esecq.png

masseffectdsn4fr4.png

tanksds1kdey1.png

tanksds22icty.png

tanksds3drcvf.png

tanksds4rseix.png

Bioshock Infinite is using in game AA, I'm not sure if it's multisampling or just something like FXAA.

Mass Effect 3 in 1080p is highest in game settings with AA, their AA isn't great. The downsampled screenshot uses 4x multisampling and 4x SGSSAA.

World of Tanks is only using in game AA, which is FXAA.

Gear Up is using in game AA, I think it's multisampling... maybe...

I've been trying out a number of games I have installed. The result is best when you throw on a bunch of extra AA on, like I did with Mass Effect 3. I've been working with the Nvidia Inspector to put 4x multisampling and 4x SGSSA on more games.

You can learn more about downsampling here:

http://www.tested.co...ample-pc-games/

Edited by VooDooPC
  • Like 1

It takes a bit of finicking to find out the maximum resolution your PC can handle.

Here's more of very early Bioshock Infinite:

And yes, I upload them to some random German site...

For some reason it won't let me view em - I click on the link and the pic begins to download, but then Google pops up and asks me if I want to translate the page and I say no, and then BAM! The pic doesn't load. :(

There are forms of anti-aliasing in some games that already do this; however, it requires an amount of memory that exponentially increases as the amount of pixels increases. It can also cause unexpected issues, and since most machines can't handle it in a playable fashion, a lot of graphics programmers don't implement it. There are other methods to acquire much better graphics display; both in how it looks and the memory it requires.

There are forms of anti-aliasing in some games that already do this; however, it requires an amount of memory that exponentially increases as the amount of pixels increases. It can also cause unexpected issues, and since most machines can't handle it in a playable fashion, a lot of graphics programmers don't implement it. There are other methods to acquire much better graphics display; both in how it looks and the memory it requires.

Downsampling is really the basis of all anti-aliasing. The original anti-aliasing method, supersampling, was basically just rendering things at a higher resolution and scaling them down to your monitor resolution. And yeah, as you said it's way too resource intensive. Then from supersampling they went to multisampling, which uses some aspects of supersampling but in a way that has much better performance, but it also doesn't look as sharp. Now they have things like FXAA which are shader based, it has very little impact on performance but also doesn't look great, it basically just blurs the edges instead of actually anti-aliasing them.

Running SSAA, MSAA, SMAA, TXAA, FXAA or any other anti-aliasing you want and downsampling will look much better for screenshots than just increasing the resolution larger than your monitor. It's like having anti-aliasing ontop of anti-aliasing. Even having a bunch of anti-aliasing on and scaling 3200x1800 down to 1080p, the screenshots of the game look better than the game did running in real time. I'm guessing this is partly due to Photoshop's bicubic resampling, I think it does a better job of keeping the sharpness of the higher resolution than the scaling on my monitor.

• 1 month later...