Blu ray player and external hdd

Kuma

Hello

So, I am in process of buying of Blu-ray player and currently, I'm most interested in this one :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung---Blu-ray-Player/7928099.p?id=1218863185446&skuId=7928099#tab=specifications

Maybe the only down size is, that it doesn't have Wi-Fi.

I am wondering, I own external HDD and would I be possible to connect to blu ray player and watch movies directly from hdd? I read something on different forums, that some people managed to do it with specific brand, some said it's not possible,... etc etc.

Also, TV is Sony Bravia as HD ready which will be replaced at some time.

So, is it possible to do such thing and what should be careful or specifized about blu ray players? Also, I don't mind if you advise me with any other brand.

Thank You

(edited)

Hooking it up directly to the player? Even with the USB port, it would probably be picky regarding the hard drive setup, file types, etc if it's recognized. That player only has a wired ethernet connection besides the A/V connection. If you had the hard drive set up in a NAS situation, then the "smart" features of the player *might* be able to connect to it to stream content. It does mention DLNA capability, which means it theoretically could connect to a smart phone or other computer on the network. I do know that model player has a more limited "smart" feature set compared to the next step up that includes wifi.

That player gives you options, but I'm not sure how well or if they would work in your situation. I've used the next model up from this before and it can see my desktop on the network and stream content. Not sure about this one.

Edited by boiler