Just FYI on some of the DDoS attacks and such, also Rust-related

Flitterkill

We have been working with a customer who has beta access in order to test the game. However, we don't yet know what Garry's stance is on allowing beta participants to more widely share it with GSPs for the purposes of server rentals.

We have a few customers running Rust servers and we've also noticed the very large DDoS attacks that they are attracting -- larger, even, then we have typically seen with Garrysmod. This is troubling for us because Internap is having some internal problems right now that make the Internap network (and, by extension, us) less able to handle very large attacks. This means that we will likely have to also wait for Internap to fix its network before we can proceed.

That's from the head honcho at NFOServers.

There are many sites, beyond gaming servers, that have been getting DDoS'd all to hell the last few weeks. Getting that info about Internap explains some of this as Internap is a pretty big chunk of US internets.

We'll flip on a Rust server soon? I suspect there is demand for such a thing? NFO or otherwise.

Every time I hear about DDOS attacks I just think, <generic description of a person living in their parents basement> gets mad that they got killed so much in a game that they attack servers related to it. Or at least ones related to the community they got butthurt over.

Also Speaking of Rust, from what I seen it could be as popular as Minecraft is (in general), though which one of the two will be good DayZ or Rust, they're pretty similar, also 7 Days to Die is gonna bomb. It wont last long looking at it. Theres also that other game with Demons no one talks about too.

Edited by ValenAlvern

I'd bet that Rust will come out on top given that it's Garry making it...

that's what I'm banking on although the dayz mod was pretty popular when it was just a mod so I think it could be a tight race in itself. I think a lot of the unseaoned players will gravitate towards Dayz while those of us who've been around will choose Rust.

There are other mods on DayZ that will probably get ported over...

I just saw a trailer for a game on sale on Steam called 7 days to die....it's like a hybrid of Minecraft and DayZ. Looks pretty interesting as you can build your own buildings and set traps for people and Zombies alike. Crafting is a huge part of the game.