VIDEO CARD

Ok dweez on finial question..... the one 4800 was an se and it's out of stock I can only find one 4800 thats not an SE (se being the ti200 no se being the 4400)

Here is the only NON SE 4800 I can find....and It cost 192 bucks

Here is a Albatron ti 4600 for 179 bucks....it ofcourse is only 4x AGP

So if I were to get one ......wich would be better...I don't know how well an Asus 4800 will do with 8x or is the 4600 despite the 4x will kick it's but and is cheaper

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
well seeing as 130 is more than I can ever fathem spending...it's gonna be a long time before I can get a 9700

Be patient, the new Radeon 9600 PRO is on it's way. When the card is officially out and in stock, the price will be around the 150-190 range. The first reviews of it are not too good, but ATI made it with the new .13 process, meaning it can overclock like there is no tomorrow. It is easy to add enough speed to it without any effort and it performs ALMOST as well as a 9700 pro. It clocks higher than the 9800 pro. So wait a bit... it will probably be my new card.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
oh yea, and i wouldnt suggest going with OCSystem.  I ordered an Overclocked 9500 pro from there.  They tried to rip me off big time.  They took a regular 9500 and put a 9500 pro bios on it and moded it.  There is a few websites that will show you how to do so.  Well anyway I changed the drivers many times and the card was only gettin 35fps with Counter-Strike.  I read later that moding a 9500 into a 9500 also has a 30% failure rate.

Then your problem isn't with ATI but with the company you bought it from. I recently realized I got jipped on my RAM from a few months ago. This is why Newegg is the only place worth buying from. Get a real ATI card like the 9500 pro or the the soon 9600 pro and do a fresh install of windows.

One thing that many of you with ATI cards forget to do is d/l the Driver... then d/l the Control Panel. The control panel should be done last because... it shows your options via the current driver set.

oh yea, and i wouldnt suggest going with OCSystem.  I ordered an Overclocked 9500 pro from there.  They tried to rip me off big time.  They took a regular 9500 and put a 9500 pro bios on it and moded it.  There is a few websites that will show you how to do so.  Well anyway I changed the drivers many times and the card was only gettin 35fps with Counter-Strike.  I read later that moding a 9500 into a 9500 also has a 30% failure rate.

Then your problem isn't with ATI but with the company you bought it from. I recently realized I got jipped on my RAM from a few months ago. This is why Newegg is the only place worth buying from. Get a real ATI card like the 9500 pro or the the soon 9600 pro and do a fresh install of windows.

One thing that many of you with ATI cards forget to do is d/l the Driver... then d/l the Control Panel. The control panel should be done last because... it shows your options via the current driver set.

I'm going to agree with the driver advice.

However, I will definitely not agree that newegg is the best, or even a good place to buy from.

Everyone has bad experiences once in a while, but I have several friends that shop regularly at OCSystems with no problem.

However, I have several friends that get the shaft on a regular basis from NewEgg. I would never order from them.

In fact, I know a guy that ordered a 9700 all in wonder (expensive card)

Then, he got the first one and there was a capacitor in the box loose. All in all, 4 cards and a month later he got one that worked,

but didn't get the luxury of waiting that month for the price to drop. I think you should find a few reputable companies that

your friends have tried and have success with and stick with them. I order a lot of parts and have yet to get bad service from anyone.

BTW NOFX, what was OCSystems response to your complaints about the card?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

There will always be bad experiences with different companies. But as a whole newegg is one of the best if not the best. I purchase from them all the time and have never had a problem.

(edited)

why get the 9600 pro when u can get the 9500 Pro which beats it in almost every benchmark?

NEVER BUY FROM pcinfinity.net.. i made that mistake and it took them damn near 3 weeks to ship out a stick of ram... even tho they had told me 4x it had shipped out a week and a half before it really did.

Edited by RiZad

Yeah, I have had good luck with Newegg.com.  I currently have a DVD drive I need to have replaced so I will tell you how that goes.

unless u got that dvd drive in the last 30 days or so then u are gonna be disappointed.. Did u get an extended warrenty from them? if u didn't then u are gonna have to go thru the manufacture. I deal with this poop ever day when ppl come intp BB and expect us to repair/replace their defective product 6 months have they got it when they didn't get the extended service on it.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
why get the 9600 pro when u can get the 9500 Pro which beats it in almost every benchmark?

NEVER BUY FROM pcinfinity.net.. i made that mistake and it took them damn near 3 weeks to ship out a stick of ram... even tho they had told me 4x it had shipped out a week and a half before it really did.

the 9600 pro will be cheaper when it is officially available, and while overclocked vs an overclocked 9500 pro, it beats the 9500 pro. It is especially dominating at the newer games, like Splinter Cell. You are getting performance about the same as the 9500 pro while cheaper (if you overclock which is recommended since ATI was being very modest on their stock speeds)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)
Homer,May 9 2003, 11:14 AM] I've heard that the 9600 Pro is the 'Lite' build of the card, whereas the 9500 Pro was a full 9700 Pro with a couple of things disabled, and you can enable them with a little effort.

almost. the radeon 9500 pro is the 9700 pro but with ONLY half the memory bus and clocked a little slower. So it is 128-bit vs 256-bit on the 9700 pro. So memory bandwidth hurts the 9500 pro.

The 9600 pro has 4 pipes removed and has 128-bit bus. So it is stripped down more than the 9500 pro is but it is ATI's first product with the .13 process, meaning it can run cooler and faster. hence the ability to OC the heck out of it and gets speeds that rival the 9700 pro. The speed of the core can make up for the lost pipes. (fill rate)

Edited by zerodamage