Another HL2 video

Guest zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

golly gee! that video looks so damn good. I want to know what they used to play the demo. What video card and system and etc. It is only a video. Can you imagine playing CS2 with that type of environment. Water with that wavey effect, etc. WOW

People.... ditch the Voodoo3's and get a new vid card.

Half Life 2 Video 2 - Docks Cracked

So the guys over on the halflife2 forums figured out a way to hex edit the cache file and get the Kleiner's Lab video out a day early. So without further adieu, here it is via Filerush.com / Bit Torrent.

Takin from www.aixgaming.com Which I sugest all of u visit each and every day to get your video game and media news up to date.

So far 3 videos have been released via steam.

Hmmm...to be honest, I'm not really that impressed with that video. That zombie looks very similar to the one in HL1. While the environment looks great (needs some serious FSAA though), I was expecting a little more from HL2, given all of the hype its been getting.

I'll definitely upgrade for it since I can expect a couple of years of gaming out of it.

Then I'll upgrade again I suppose for D3.

Here's a screenshot of D3.

12.jpg

I dunno about you, but THAT is what the enemy should look like. I know if I was playing that game in the dark, I'd be a little wigged out.

Edited by DJ Premier

see Doom3 looks good to me, but there is so much hype around it's graphics that it's probably going to fall into the category that pretty much every FPS does now. It looks pretty but the gameplay is mediocre. Whereas after watching the E3 HL2 video I'm amazed at the AI of the enemies and teammates and think the way they went about making this game (making it quietly in the background and then suprising everyone with a game that is so close to playable that there is barely any wait time) was just exceptional. How many games out there have we been waiting for for years and only just now getting to see parts of them? We haven't been in huge suspense about HL2 until E3 and now I'm HUGELY pumped about this game.

I'm wondering if we are going to actually have a CS2 from it or not. I mean we are supposed to be getting CZ (one of those long awaited little seen games) so will they actually make a CS2?

I'm also glad that I will only hafta upgrade my mobo and processor to play either of those games.

either way I'm more sold on HL2 than D3 by far.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Well ID basically invented the fps. That is about the end of it though. Story lines and gameplay behind the fps didn't happen until HL came out.

As for the graphics of D3 vs HL2. I think these games are in different worlds.

I think ID is shooting more for realism in the graphics that only a small portion of the public will get to experience in the first place due to only about 1% of the Vid card consumers actually purchase the high end cards needed to run D3 at those levels where I think HL2 will not be as hard on the system as D3 will be.

I played Splinter Cell on my 8500 with the details cranked all the way up and the environment and details on that game were amazing. And I had god framerates to boot.

remember Quake 2? Somewhat of a storyline, impressive gameplay (at the time). Same to say for the origional Doom. Quake 3? Zero storyline and pathetic gameplay (IMHO).

I started playing Half Life again the other day. Switching between it and Opposing Forces. Both are very fun and well made games. Games like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament care so much about the Multiplayer side that they forget the single player market. Now I will admit that from what I understand D3 is going to be single player first multiplayer maybe. (I think they're using Q4 for the main multiplayer game) and if that's true then it probably will be a great game. But if the game only has pretty graphics and an "oooh" factor. I won't care about it one bit. Same can be said for HL2 but from what I've seen of the videos it is going to have a storyline and enjoyable gameplay.

I played the D3 Alpha leak, and while I'll admit that it wasn't meant for public release, the game had nothing but "pretty colors", no substance. I want more games like Max Payne. I remember when that came out my friend and I beat it in 1 night because we were so into the storyline and advancing the game. I just see the video game industry taking a route to caring more about how pretty a game is than how GOOD a game is.

now that I've said all that and angered DJ :D , I will say that this is all my opinion. It's going to be different for each person.

Weren't Q3 and UT multiplayer only? I thought the gameplay of Q3 rocked. There no denying it had/has a great following. I'm sure there's another discussion going on right now on some other board full of Q3 fanatics that are ripping on our aging engine. But that's another thread. As for HL vs Q2, well since one came after the other, I guess it's really hard to do an apples to apples comparison.

Don't get me wrong, when I first played HL, it blew me away. I thought that valve created something that was never done before and that was create an interactive world that is really engaging. Something I haven't seen since the days of Doom 2.

As for Doom 3, I just remember being thoroughly emersed in doom 2. I know what it was trying to achieve and the placement and interaction we got from that game was simply genius. I think the same concepts will apply to D3. At least I hope so. Any previews ppl have seen will have ZERO storyline or gameplay because they are still working on the engine itself. I'd say give it however long it takes before you count it out.

As for HL2, I don't think u can compare HL2 to D3. Again, since D3 will come far after HL2, it'll be on a different level altogether.

very true in those statements.

I guess I just have something in my heart for HL2 because of how they went about it. I mean look how long ppl have been waiting for Doom3 and it's STILL going to come out after HL2.

btw Q3 and UT had single player games that were multiplayer...i.e. bots

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Well my assumtion is this, HL2 has probably been in development longer than D3, so it should come out soon. What I think we are seeing is what TF2 was supposed to be. That game should have been out 3+ years ago, and no one is talking about it. I had it reserved at Babbages years ago and last year decided to get my 10 bucks back.

My only question is this: Where is TF2. We saw screen shots of this game years ago and now nothing. Will it be a part of HL2, sort of like how TFC was a part of HL (TF = Team Fortress)

If so, then HL2 will be the game to beat in my opinion. As long as D3 has the freaky story to go along with those graphics, then it should be a great game. HL2 will also be a great game if the story lives up to the hype and if then there will be even more if TF2 is tossed into the bag.

I'd expect TF2 to come shortly after HL2, like it did for HL. Might even be sold rather than just a patch. Then, a little later, they'll upgrade to CS2, which will also be sold rather than a simple mod. So expect to spend about $100 bucks on all of that. Hell, with the following CS has, it might be smart of them to charge a monthly fee.

Do people hack accounts to get free play on the games that have monthly fees? If they can't, I'd be all for it! Intuition tells me that there would be less baddies in a pay-to-play environment, but I could be silly too.

No you cant hack your account to get a free account. It is a very secure thing. BUT there are hackers inside the game. I play Dark Age of Camelot and there are people that hack using Radar programs to detect where the enemies are and such. Funny thing is you have to pay for the hack for DAoC too.

Pvt_Jimmah: Do you have any idea how much it costs to get a machine capable of allowing 4500 clients to connect to it and then get an internet connection that can support that? Then multiply that by 15-30 servers(depending on the MMO), add in constant patching, development, and additions, balancing etc... It adds up. These companies charging 10-15/month arent making mad profit they are using that money and putting it right back into the game. If you dont want to pay it thats fine but dont think they are being greedy for one minute.

• 3 weeks later...