Sound card problems

Guest catalystgs

Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guests

Hello, I have a computer with sound card problems (hence the topic name). I was referred here by someone on either the DOH server or the Mmmm server. I can't think of his name off the top of my head, but he said he could help. Here is my system info:

Made by Gateway (Not sure about the model number)

Windows XP w/ SP1

Pentium III 766 Mhz

256 Mb DDR

Soundblaster Live! Value (I curse you! :angry:)

Radion 8500 LE 128 Mb

If I hook my speakers up to my computer no sound will come out, however when I plug my headphones to the soundcard it works just fine. I'm certain it isn't the cord because this happened right after I installed XP. My speakers will play from a regular CD player just fine. I have heard of other Gateway users having similar problems when using SB Live! and XP. Help me! o0o

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

I was the one that said they would help you. We were playin inferno on MMMM, heh. See, what this means, if your headphones work, it's wrong with the hardware on your speakers. It makes no other sense. Your headphones can work, but your speakers don't? Try and work with the settings on your hardware, not software.

Of coruse creative just realeased new software for XP, so go to www.creative.com and go to America Support, and download center.

I reccomend tryin't o work with your speakers, get hte new drivers and tell me what happens.

my aim is tekn0junki, I'll try n' help as much as I can.

Oh BTW Sp1 has SOOOOO MANY Freakin' GLITCHES AHH!!!

Also, I believe Creative has an app called "Creative HQ"

Open that up and somewhere in there is a speaker setup.

Make sure it is setup to be 2 speakers or 4 speakers or whatever the case may be.

For example, on my Audigy, it is setup to be 4 speakers for my surround, then I patch my headphones into my front speaker setup.

I've had similar issues with the Live! family of cards from Creative. Basically, XP and Live! has some intermittent problems for SOME users. This is because XP imploys something called "IRQ" sharing and allocates all of your peripheral cards onto one IRQ by default. There is a way to fix this but I would follow the other people's advice on checking your hardware before worrying about software.

If all else fails, tell me and I'll tell you what you need to do (not for the faint of heart).

Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guests

I already tried everything but the IRQ stuff. Please post further details. I am 100% certain that it is a software issue, not hardware.

Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guests

I have tried nearly every driver issued by Creative Labs. I have tried every driver issued by Gateway. They don't work, please stop recommending driver downloads.

if you have one single line out jack and the headphones work and not the speakers, it has to be your speakers

If you have a spearate jack just for headphones, then just plug the speakers into that jack. if speakers dont work, It has to be your speakers

Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guest catalystgs
Guests

I took it in to my Micro-OS class and tried different speakers with a different wire... still didn't work :(

Even my teachers are clueless and they have bachelors in who-knows-what.