Supernatural/Paranormal

Crowbar

I was watching the history channel today, that show "History's Mysteries." Great show, always like getting into that unsolved stuff. Today they were talking about the Bermuda (or Devil's) Triangle. Interesting, very interesting.

There have been a lot of dissappearences in there. The most famous one was probably this flight of 5 Gruman "Avengers" during World War I. It's known simply as "Flight 19." A training flight, 5 planes, 13 airmen, led by a Lt. The tower had contact with the planes off and on all through their experiance. The flight was supposed to take two hours, normal navigational training, but while up there, the flight leader (the Lt.) got all dis-oriented, he radioed back that his compass was broken, the flight group tried to navigate based on visuals, but got even more lost, flying first west, then east. Finally they radioed that they didn't know which way was up or down, the ocean didn't even look "the way it should."

It also seems that the Great Lakes are a bit of a Devil's Triangle too. They have claimed 30,000 lives in recorded history, 6000 ships. That's an awful lot of ships for one section of water. The most famous loss there was the single largest freighter on the Great Lakes at that time, the Edmund Fitzgerald. It was in the late '50's, so technology was fairly high tech, yet this massive ship just dissappeared on Lake Superior (I think it was Superior, not positive). What's even more odd, is there was another ship travelling with it at the time, not even 10 miles behind it. The ship saw the Fitzgerald dissappear into a swell of water (there was a bad storm at the time) and when the swell went down, the ship was gone. In a matter of minutes, a ship within visual contact vanished. What's more odd, is that three "bad omens" occured before hand. According to sailor lore, when a ship is christened, if the champain bottle doesn't break on the hull, it's cursed. The bottle took 3 tries to break. Also, when the ship was released into the water, it rolled the wrong direction, and sent a wave up onto the dock, another bad omen. Third, was that someone present at the christening suffered a heart attack, right there on the dock. All this and then the vanishing act during the storm. The ship IS at the bottom of the lake, multiple dives have shown that, however, not a single body has been recovered. No bodies have been found from the 29 crewmen. In the same way, no bodies or parts or wreckage at all from Flight 19 has been found.

There are hundreds of stories of possible paranormal, extra-terrestrial, supernatural things happening all down through history. I love reading about them, as I'm sure some of you do. Thinking about what could possibly cause these dissappearences all in one place, what race of beings could build Stonehenge, do ghosts exsist? What do you guys (and girls) think? And what "spooky" stories do you know?

There is another story, which I've been meaning to research, and this topic brought it to mind. I came across it a month or so ago, while reading the Bible with my wife. A simple passage that goes like this,

"The Sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."

- Genesis 6:2

The version I used (New American Standard) used the word "Nephilim" in place of (Sons of God). This passage comes immediatly afterward:

The Nefilim were upon the Earth in those days and thereafter too. Those sons of the gods who cohabited with the daughters of the Adam, and they bore children into them. They were the Mighty Ones of Eternity, the People of the Shem."

- Genesis 6:4

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they; bare children unto them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

- Genesis 6:4 (King Jame's version)

A website I found listed this:

"The Hebrew word for giants (nephilum) literally means the fallen-down-ones because these tall celestial beings fell from the sky. Their half-breed progeny and their descendants are often mentioned in the early books of the Old Testament until the last of them were finally killed off. They were known as the Rephaim [Hebrew for 'phantoms'], Emim, Anakim, Horim, Avim, and Zamzummim. Some scholars speculate that this tradition of giants born from the union of gods and humans formed the basis for the demigod of Greek mythology."

- Raymond E. Fowler, The Watchers

This, from Numbers, is a passage from when Joshua's spies came back from scouting the land of Canaan:

"And there we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, which come of the Nephilim: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight."

- Numbers 13:33

I found this passage as well:

"The Emim - a large and numerous people, as tall as the Anakim - had formerly inhabited it [Moab]. Like the Anakim, they are usually reckoned as Rephaim, though the Moabites call them Emim."

"Now only King Og of Bashan was left of the remnant of the Rephaim. In fact his bed, an iron bed, can still be seen in Rabbah of the Ammonites. By the common cubit [63.5 cm/25 in] it is nine cubits [5.7 m/18.75 ft] long and four cubits wide."

- Deuteronomy 2:11, 3:11

Interesting stuff. The passage that most caught my interest was where the Bible says that the Nephilim were the "mighty men of old, heros of reknown." I love reading Greek and Roman mythology. Perhaps, there is more truth to it than many will admit.

Dah-ling, this is my kind of topic!

I have a little something unusual to ad to the Edmund Fitzgerald story. And by the way, it is Superior where the E.F. lies. Gordon Lightfoot wrote an absoulutly beautiful song about it called The Wreck Of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Check it out, its hauntingly beautiful.

Anyway. Back to the story. The families of the crewmen went out to haul up the bell of the E.F., and replaced it with one that not only said "Edmund Fitzgerald", but it also had the names of all 29 crewmen of the ore tanker that died trying to save their beloved ship.

There are a lot of legends floating around about butterflies. One of them happens to be that they represent the souls of the dead. When the families were saying their final farewells to thier loved ones, out of nowhere a butterfly appeared and landed on someone's knee. Keep in mind that this is in the middle of a HUGE lake with land not even in site! Someone snapped a picture of it ( I tried to find it, but couldn't <_< ) as proof. Wacky huh?

Now for my ghost stories.

I lived in a house that was haunted when I was in grade school. I must have been about 7, and we were renting this fabulous victorian house in the podunk little town of Claxton, Ga. (yeah the fruitcake town) Sometimes we would all be sitting in the livingroom watching tv and we would hear footsteps somewhere else in the house. There were hardwood floors all through the house so footsteps were hard to miss. My mom told me later that she would be in the kitchen doing one thing or another and she'd feel someone tug on her shirt except she was the only one in the house, let alone the room. Or sometimes she would feel an ice-cold draft on the neck, or fingers traced down the length of her arm.

One night when I was in bed i felt like someone was watching me, and I turned over and I swear to you there was a man's head floating in the corner right below the celing. I wasn't even scared, strangly enough. I just turned over and fell asleep. In fact none of us were ever scared, because we never felt threatened. My parents decided to ask the owner some questions, they later told my sister and I. They actually simply asked why they get such a great deal on such a beautiful house. The owner told them it was because a man had been murdered on the back porch of the house by his wife. I was just on the phone with my mother, and neither one of us can remember how she killed him, we just know for sure it was on the back porch. Spine-tingling! :=

And to conclude, my Key West Adventure.

In October of 2001 I went to Key West with some friends. The first night we were there, we went on this cheesy-donkey Ghost Tour. Towards the end of the tour, though, we came to a little courtyard behind St. Paul's on Duval St. There is a sea captain buried in this courtyard who also happens to haunt said courtyard. He is a very malevolent spirit who has on numerous occasions physically assaulted people and screamed at them to "get out". Keep this terratorial meanie in mind.

Also in this courtyard, on the other side is a large stone angel. And across the alley is a buliding with a tragic story. Some years back this building was used as a rec center and Sunday school was taught there as well. One of the teachers was the pastor's wife and she was a very bad wife indeed. The pastor found out that she was having an affair and was so enraged he barred the door of the building one Sunday morning and set it ablaze. His wife was killed along with several other people including small children trapped in the burning building. Now the story is that the spirits of these murdered children come across the street to play under the watchful eyes of the stone angel. The tour guide told us of people who would stick their cameras through the bars of the gate and their cameras wouldn't work. They were fine once they were out of the gates, but wouldn't snap any pictures once they were thrust back through the bars. Also, she told us of a recient tour where someone with a digital camera took a piture of the angel and there were little blue balls of light clearly visible on the LCD screen. There are no such lights on that corner I assure you. There is only one dim streetlamp that is mostly blocked by trees. After we moved to the next stop on the tour, someone brought it to our attention that she also had captured an image of blue balls of light on her camera. We all oooed and ahhed over it and my friends and I decided to try and get the same results with our cameras later that night. Unfortunatly we didn't make it back to that church until our last night there. My friends had brought along an expensive digital camera/camcorder with them. He was trying to get a clear picture of the angel, but it wouldn't focus. He could point it anywhere else but it would not focus on that angel. I stuck my little Kodak Advantex throught the gate and snapped a picture of the angel okay, but his camera was still giving us problems. We were crowded around the little screen trying to see anything spooky when something white zoomed across the screen. I noticed that I did not see this in my peripheral vision even though it had to have been right in front of the camera. I was in the process of asking " Did you guys see that?" when the screen completly snowed over and this face made of that snow rushed at the camera with is mouth wide open, and I felt a puff of wind hit my face and ever so slightly blow back my hair. I screamed, and all was silent for about 2 seconds before one of us said, "Run. Now." And we took off back to our car.

Later on, back at the hotel, after an unsucessful attempt to get drunk, we were laying in bed being silly. He was teasing his wife by making ghostly "whoo!" noises in the dark and I was saying all manner of hilairious things. We had finally calmed down when I piped up with, " If that penny is back in the toilet in the morning I'm going to take a picture of it and put it in my scrapbook with a heading of ' The Mysterious Disappearing Reappearing Corroded Potty-Penny!' " at which we burst into fresh peels of laughter. When suddenly I felt someone sit down right next to me on my bed. I jumped up and launched myself onto their bed, not even touching the floor between the beds and landed in between them. We turned on the light and you could see an indentation on my bed and pillow where someone or something was laying. We all heard the tinkle of childlike laughter in the room. It was muffled, but definatly there, like it had passed through decades of time to reach our ears. At this point someone sat down on the bed next to Samantha, and it was then and there we decided to pack up and go, regardless of the fact that is was 3am and we had a 9 hour drive home. I have never packed so quickly- it took me about 7 minutes. We all grabbed as much as we could so we wouldn't have to come back up to the room. As we were loading the trunk I looked back up at the room, and the shade was being held back, and swung back into place while I watched. I informed my friends of this and we redoubled our efforts to get going.

The picture I have of the angel has about 3 or 4 little balls of blue light.

Spine-tingling, indeed.

Edited by Mustard's CoffeeMaker

meh. im realy interested in the universe and how big it is. Like how is there gods and how did the bible to come to be. All stuff like that. Astronomy is pretty interesting. To know and matchmatically prove that there are billions or maybe even trillions of other planets! -_-

Jeffe: ^_^ ^_^ :fatty: :fatty:

This post has been edited by Jeffe on Aug 22 2003, 09:27 AM

ROFL How do you mess up a post with just smilies?

Toka somtimes you make me pee in my pants I dont know what I did but I always edit my post even if there is smilies there haha .

:lol::lol:

I'm not trying to "ruin" your fun, I'm just wondering why you quoted from another thread and put it in here. It was completely off topic, and it threw me for a loop. Why didn't you just post that on the thread you quoted it from? Are you stalking Toka? Thats all I was "saying" about your post. Lets keep on the topic here. Have you ever had a supernatural experience? If not, then share your feelings on whether you believe in it or not.

There is a totally fantastic beer called "Edmund Fitzgerald Porter" that is made by the Great Lakes Brewing Co. The bottle has a drawing of the ship on it. Pretty awesome stuff. Anyways, there have been some weird stuff that has happened over the years, like the stories mentioned above, and things like the disappearance of Amelia Earhart.