Can't play anymore

Ok, so in my quest to get better fps from my crappy vid card, I decided to try switching my 3d acceleration to direct3d. Big mistake... now cs starts to open and i see a flash of the background image then it just disappears like it never started up... I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam, and uninstalling half life... maybe i need to reinstall half life and switch the options through that. If I can't get this to work I am just giving up. I have been frustrated enough with CS for now.

Edited by General J

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, so in my quest to get better fps from my crappy vid card, I decided to try switching my 3d acceleration to direct3d.  Big mistake...  now cs starts to open and i see a flash of the background image      then it just disappears like it never started up...  I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam, and uninstalling half life...  maybe i need to reinstall half life and switch the options through that.  If I can't get this to work I am just giving up.  I have been frustrated enough with CS for now.

whats your puter specs? how fast you running?

If I understand your problem correctly, I have a simple fix I found on the Steam forums. Go to your Steam icon and right click and choose games. (The icon when steam is up and running.) Right click on counter-strike->properties. Choose launch options.

Under launch options, type one of these: -gl -d3d or -soft. -gl changes the video to Open_GL, d3d changes it to Direct 3D, and -soft changes it to software.

(You should just need to do the above; thats all I needed to fix mine. Now you owe me a 6-pack of beer; perferrably an import cause it took me like 20 minutes to find the stupid page. LOL ppl ask the same questions over and over on that forum and dont bother looking for answers.)

I did the same thing you did, with the same results, trying to get my fps up. And J, I expect more from you; something along the lines of: www.steampowered.com/forums; Search->keyword->VIDEO

Search Options: Steam Support / Help

This was taken from the Steam forum directly. I know it's more then you asked for, but i figure maybe the MMMM guys can tuck it away somewhere encase we need it again. Only read what's below if you are having problems or you are bored out of your mind!

*Listed below is a list of common fixes for certain errors. Since steam has so many bugs though, these may or may not fix your error.

Error - 1: Timing out on Validating Resources.

Details: When loading a game up such as Valves Counter-Strike, it stops when it hits Validating resources. You wait for a while, and then you suddenly hit THIS ERROR: Error: Connection Timed-out to server. Dazed, and confused, you try time after time again, but get the same error, and no connection.

Fix: Change cl_timeout to something higher, like 99999. Do this in your config.cfg file or in the console. If this does not work, disable or unplug your firewall. If none of the above works, flood STEAM with thousands of messages portaining to this error. Eventually you'll crash their 56k connection, or they'll be forced to reply.

Error - 2: All of your buttons and text appear as a variable called #steam_root (However you may only see the #steam_roo because of the size and length of your buttons and what not).

Details: There is an error in steams programming somewhere, its not clientside I believe. It instead displays the variable instead of what the variable portains to.

Fix: 1.Update to the latest version of steam. 2. Delete the clientregistry.blob . 3. Flood steam with hatemail and this error.

Error - 3: Steam taking a long time or not loading at all.

Details: You attempt to start steam, but it only shows the background of it, takes a long time, or doesn't try to load at all. It appears in the ctrl+alt+del window though.

Fix: Credit to Amercian Zombie for this link: http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?p...show=startdelay . Thats only if it takes a long time. Another fix for this though is to delete the clientregistry.blob. And for the last and latest fix, spam STEAM with hatemail and this error.

Error - 4: You finally connect to Steam and go into one of the games or use the built in servers feature. You attempt to update, and it takes a bit. You notice nothings popped up, where as thousands of server should have. You get the message "Nothing passes your filter settings". So, you get rid of your filters, and you try again, but you get the SAME error.

Details: I have experienced this error myself. I have found that this error originates from your masterservers.vdf file.

Fix: Delete the masterservers.vdf file from your STEAM/config folder. This will do no harm. Go back into Steam, cross your fingers and hope you wont hit some other error steam doesnt want to fix. Then go to servers. Hit refresh games and your list SHOULD appear! If it does not, spam Steam with hatemail and this error.

Error - 5: After setting your video settings, it blue screens. Every time after that, it blue screens when connecting to a server.

Details: This probably does portain to an error in your video settings.

Fix: Right click on the game you want to play in steams game window. Then, under launch options, type one of these: -gl -d3d or -soft. -gl changes the video to Open_GL, d3d changes it to Direct 3D, and -soft changes it to software. If it does not work, maybe its your resolution you set. if it is, type -w (pixels) and/or -h (pixels) . -w sets width while -h sets height. -win sets it to windowed mode, while -full sets it to full mode.

get me a 6 pack too because wanted really messed my comp up one time for about a hour. LOL! but he made it right in the end and made it better. I know that this fix actually works becasue ive dont it before. And yes wanted in 17 states seems to ahve a lot on his time. BTW what do you do? work? I know you're not in school. gg, gl, hf and whatever else there is to say in double-speak.

jane | gfe

Mess with the best, die like the rest