Issue of respect?

Duffman

To all Mmmm-

You all know me fairly well by now, I am sure. I have a great deal of respect for you all, and I am rather sure you all know that. I am very friendly when I play, if a bit whiny, but that is part of who I am, and a part of your server that I thought you enjoyed.

That aside, I would like a true explanation of what happened tonight. Hopefully you respect me as much as I you, and will not give me a short and poorly explained response.

I was playing this late night/early morning on the trop, and having a rather good time. Wanted in 17 states seemed to be rather arguing with this one guy, but I was carrying on a rather normal conversation with them... complimenting him and another on good teamwork, inquiring as to cal level, etc... anyways, I made a joke, which also happens to be a bind you have all seen many times in the past and not had a problem with, about Skipper likes Black (for Breakfast.). This is a mostly inside joke with no negative connotations beyond the implications of homosexuality (which, in Black's case, is true, self admitted), and just to joke with Skipper. I hit this combination of binds with MrX playing with me, and he warned me about it. I asked why, and his response was 'I don't like things to do with race'. I assumed he misunderstood what 'Black' meant, so I attempted to explain to him that Black was a player, not a race (in my case). He did ask me not to use the bind with him around, and I told him I would honor that, and also asked as to why (to which he responded about the race thing). Anyways, after what seemed to me a fine conversation (during which I was slayed because 'he died while typing')... I suddenly found myself kicked and banned, with no words to the wiser aside of 'I don't like things to do with race'. I strongly look down upon racial slurs and connotations myself, and do what I can to help Mmmm maintain active control over their servers (EX. yesterday I asked the player Lucky M. Effer to change his name, and told him Mmmm would likely ban him for it.... to which he said they wouldn't, and rcon promptly banned him and thanked me for trying).

Again, I heavily respect Mmmm and what you have done to create a public server that is enjoyable, friendly, and well governed. I am honestly baffled as to why MrX felt he needed to even ban me, much less kick me or slay me, over what seemed to me a very reasonable conversation.

I apologize for the lack of brevity, and also for anything offensive I may have said in this letter or on the server to any of you (MrX, you too... although I was trying VERY hard to be politically correct tonight)

Also, I know that it is your server, and your rules, and you can use that saying to make everything right, but you guys seem to be more responsible than that. That is why I have enjoyed playing on your server for close to two years now, because you are almost always fair in what you do, and also very consistent in it.

|Duff

It was 60 minutes.

That saying could offend someone; I didn't know what you were trying to say and obviously did not give it the meaning that you are here; there's definately more than one interpretation of that; it could be mistook. It somehow became an issue to ask you to stop. You said something about "well the other admins let me say it" and wanted to discuss it, which frustrates me trying to play when it's been said that if there's something to discuss, bring it to the forums. Which is why you got short answers, slayed, and warned that you'd be banned if you said it again. But even after I said I'd ban you for saying it again, you did it again. Doing what a lot of people tend to do and just push the issue. I'd much prefer just playing the game and dealing with this type of stuff here. I just don't think it unreasonable to ask to stop saying it. And it is consistent that if you continue doing something you're asked not to, you get kicked or banned.

I still think that should not be said. It's like an incomplete sentence that just begs for misinterpretation. You said something about black being a player, but I didn't notice anyone with that name in there. And the last time you said it, it did not include that "for breakfast". I don't even really remember it saying "for breakfast" any of the times, but I don't doubt you.

I know your history of helping us out and everything, and appreciate it. This would have been much simpler to just stop and bring it here in the first place.