71.0 degrees

jane

A couple of things to do before you panic, in order:

Yes, this is hot. An AMD can run in the high 30's to 50ish without a big deal. Over that is no good.

What is the system temperature? If the program reports this it should be somewhere between the low 20's to the mid 30's at most.

Who built this system - self, store bough, friend?

Verify that the program you downloaded is the correct one for your motherboard.

Verify that it is working - take the sidecover off the case (shut it down, take the cover off, boot back up) then grab the metal of the case and then feel the HSF (heatsink/fan) metal and see if you can even touch it. If it's scorching hot then the program must be working. If it's hot but you can hold a finger on it for a few seconds then it's running cool enough.

Assuming it's running hot -

Shut it down. Get some better quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver. Take the HSF off and verify that it has some sort of thermal paste or putty there. Clean any off of both the CPU and bottom of the HSF with isoporpyl alcohol with Q-tips and kleenex, don't leave any fuzzies or fingerprints. The alcohol will dry in a few seconds. At this point if the HSF had a decent thermal compound of some sort I would consider junking it and going with an all copper HSF. If there was no paste or only a little then put a thin layer (a cover of it but less is better here) of Arctic Silver on the CPU die area (the small 1/4" squarish raised area) and then reattach the HSF.

If you're adventurous at this point you could check to see if your northbridge chipset has thermal paste between it's little HSF or heatsink. This could help the 'system' temperature if that figure is high also.

You should check that your cabling is 'clean' and out of the way for air movement in the case. IDE cables can do a lot of blocking, zip-tie or rubberband them up and out of the way. Do you have an 80mm fan in the lower front sucking air into the case? Do you have an 80mm right below the PSU pushing air out the back? You need at least one of these and preferably both. If only one then add the second.

If you put it all back together and it is still running hot you should check one other thng before getting a new HSF - is your PSU overloaded? I've seen this before where adding another hard disk, CD-RW, or more powerful video card can cause a lower wattage PSU to run close to it's max. capacity and this causes alot of heat. A small surge in power needs can cause it to go into some unpleasant gyrations - hard disk errors, random rebooting, memory errors.

I'd hope that you find that the thermal compound between the cpu and the HSF is inadequate, it's a relatively easy fix.

yea I would say that you dont have enough thermal grease between the cpu and heatsink, you can also take off the side of your case or put a few fans in, that will always cool it down

I once built a AMD system with a 1800+ and a cheap ecs mobo inside of a small case, it ran so hot i always had to keep the side off and I did have enough thermal grease

Edited by NOFX

ok so i touched the stuff you told me to(i think...) and its all fine. Also, in the report the program gave me it told me the Vcore was running over its maxium load.... is that the power supply unit you were talking about? This wouldnt make much sense since ive never added a new hd, cdrw(dont even have one) or anything. I have a bare-bones comp. I got the best gfx card at the time, the best motherboard, good RAM, and such, but didnt go for anything real nice. I dont even have a floppy drive. So why would my PSU be overloading? I'm leaving the side of the case off for a bit to see if that helps. today i checked it again and the temp was around 64 C. Better, but still way too hot for my liking.

BTW i just dl the program the link you gave thebugs. I didnt check if it was the right one for my comp. I have an AMD Athlon 2600+, Asus something-or-another mb, Maxtor 5400 hd(could this be the problem, its too slow?), gForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X(64mb), 256 mb ddr 2700, integrated sound, 48x cd rom, and i think thats it.

Let me know if this helps you figure it all out. I didnt check the paste between the hsf and the CPU becasue quite honestly im not sure what to do with it all. Turn off comp, wait, unscrew hsf and then check if it there at all?

thx for your time homer and NOFX

ok so the program says your vcore is running higher than it is supposed to be running? That is probably the reason that your CPU is hot. The higher you make your vcore the more power your cpu gets and it gets hotter. You can easily fry your cpu by increasing the vcore to much. For some reason my old ecs mobo ran made my vcore higher than normal also, thats it was always so hot.

The problem could either be a cheap PSU or somehow your vcore settings got change or a cheap/faulty mobo. If you have a asus mobo then you can change the vcore settings, Go into your bios and lower your vcore one step and see if that helps.

ok so i touched the stuff you told me to(i think...) and its all fine. Also, in the report the program gave me it told me the Vcore was running over its maxium load.... is that the power supply unit you were talking about? This wouldnt make much sense since ive never added a new hd, cdrw(dont even have one) or anything. I have a bare-bones comp. I got the best gfx card at the time, the best motherboard, good RAM, and such, but didnt go for anything real nice. I dont even have a floppy drive. So why would my PSU be overloading? I'm leaving the side of the case off for a bit to see if that helps. today i checked it again and the temp was around 64 C. Better, but still way too hot for my liking.

BTW i just dl the program the link you gave thebugs. I didnt check if it was the right one for my comp. I have an AMD Athlon 2600+, Asus something-or-another mb, Maxtor 5400 hd(could this be the problem, its too slow?), gForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X(64mb), 256 mb ddr 2700, integrated sound, 48x cd rom, and i think thats it.

Let me know if this helps you figure it all out. I didnt check the paste between the hsf and the CPU becasue quite honestly im not sure what to do with it all. Turn off comp, wait, unscrew hsf and then check if it there at all?

thx for your time homer and NOFX

Vcore = Voltage to the CPU

Vcore on a 2600+ should be 1.65v

Doing alittle Googling i found that a few ppl are having a problem with the 2600+ running at insanely high Vcores without doing anything to them. I would recommend lowering your vcore if it is doing that in Bios.

For the record it wasn't me that gave a link to the program, but I'm glad you looked and this came up. I'm surprised that your system wasn't locking up, it's right on the edge of shutting down.

Yes, the vcore issue must be fixed. Other than a techical issue, did you or someone else overclock your system?