Good Deal?

General J

Being the idiot that I am, I quickly found out that my current machine only has 2x AGP... Soo... Now I am just looking at a new machine... How does this look for $276.32:

ASUS A7V600 Barebone Kit

ASUS A7V600, SATA Raid, S.462, 333/400FSB, Audio/LAN, DDR333/400, Retail Box

AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP 2600+ Barton 640K 333FSB OEM

Socket A Cooling Fan w/Heatsink

256MB DDR333 PC2700 Non-ECC Samsung

Integrated 32AW SRS Audio Adapter

Integrated 10 / 100 / 1000 Mbps Gigabit LAN Adapter

ATX Beige MidTower 300W P.S. w/2 Front USB

OR is this a better deal for $272.90:

Create Your Own Kit: AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP - Mb&CPU Combo

ASUS A7N8X-X, S.462, 333/400FSB, Audio/LAN, DDR333/400, Retail Box

AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP 2600+ Barton 640K 333FSB OEM

Socket A Cooling Fan w/Heatsink

256MB DDR333 PC2700 Non-ECC Samsung

ATX Beige MidTower 300W P.S.

Edited by General J

Per Newegg:

$82 A7V600

$99 XP2600+

$5 cheapest HSF

$40 cheap PC2700 RAM

$24 cheap beige case w/300w psu

==================

$250

Motherboard is KT600 chipset, eh, go with an nForce2 chipset board.

I agree on 512mb, use 2x256mb. The A7N8X Deluxe has the very good Soundstorm audio if you are gonna use onboard sound. 300w is low for an AMD system too, get a 350w.

And lastly, go to www.newegg.com before I come over there slap ya!

you could save an eency-weency chunk of change and go with this Biostar instead...only saves ya about $5 though...but I KNOW that thing rocks...put it in 6 systems now and all scream from the getgo. (one 7th system with that mobo had a bad processor...so it doesn't scream yet).

also, what case you looking at? I don't know what you look for in a case...me I want functionality + price over looks...so I get this one usually for customers.

only $25 and is a good working (and rather cool) case

hehe, I don't think I've ever been banned from an Mmmm server

got kicked only twice (I was annoying Maggy once, Mr X the other)

why is 50 watts so much more important? I have built plenty of Athlon systems with 300w PS's that were fine....so maybe there's something else or maybe you need to elaborate? (i.e. for overclocking, lifetime)

I like the A7N8X board over the other. I also agree with Playaa. I would go with 512MB RAM modules. If you can't afford 2 right now, get one and get the other later. Also, as Homer said, a 350W PS is the minimum-suggest wattage for an AMD system. Playaa, an AMD system might run fine on a 300W or less PS (depends, some of the good brand PS's are sufficient on a minimalist system) but if you add a CD drive or two, a HD or two, a powered Vid card, etc, it might not be sufficient enough to power all the devices at the proper level and it might overheat itself, stop booting until you unplug something, or worst, it might run your devices on brown power (less power than is needed) which is even worse for your devices.

Playaa

Find your answers within.

Take note of the DDR DIMM, and that's just one.

It's easier to put a slightly bigger PSU in now rather than adding a hard drive and a stick of RAM in a year and crapping out your system. :D

Edit:

it might not be sufficient enough to power all the devices at the proper level and it might overheat itself, stop booting until you unplug something, or worst, it might run your devices on brown power (less power than is needed) which is even worse for your devices.

This really sucks to happen and it can be frustrating to diagnose, it might happen intermittently and start a couple weeks after you upgrade so you won't be sure it was the upgrade. You might think it's an overheating issue. It has happened to me like that.

I like the A7n8X from asus.

But i can really recomend the N-force 2 board from ABIT that i run, the NF7-S ver 2.0.

Both boards are great!

May i also suggest that you get a Barton 2500+ processor instead of a 2600+.

The performance of both processors is excellent, but I think if u ever decide to have some REAL fun you'll need the 2500+.

Also go with PC-3200 ram if you get a 2500+. This may not seem like it makes since, but trust me if u get a 2500+ with two sticks of pc-3200 ram to run dual channel on a ABIT or Asus board you will be able to get your money's worth!!!!

:D

Oh and if you do get a 2500 and two sticks of 3200 you had better overclock since thats what Asus and ABIT boards are ready for!!!

Its a cake walk to overclock the AMD 2500+

if you use a retail heatsink and have nice cooling in your case(at least 3 80mm fans) then you would be able to overclock that sucker at leat 100 mhz!!

If you invest in a good all copper heatsink and add a nice 80mm fan on top with some good thermal grease then you would be able to get more mhz out of the 2500

and dont be afraid to overclock

just take baby steps and i can help you out if you would like to try it

Rizad has the 2500+ and so do I. He has conventional cooling and I have water-cooling and we both OC ours to 2.1GHz without any significant temperature difference. If I bump the FSB any higher, mine fails to boot. I have my FSB set to 191MHz. I could probably go higher if I want to adjust the vcore voltage, but 300MHz increase is good enough for me.

And, by doing more stuff with like this, you get a better understanding of how a computer works. My first computer (well, my first was a TRS80 CCII, so my second computer) was a 66MHz (CPU on turbo), 8MB Ram, 480MB HD and I was deathly afraid to open it up for fear that I might break something. Through the years, I have gotten over this fear and do a lot of internal work on my system, thus I save a lot of time/money (don't have to call TS or pay someone to fix it). I also have the feeling of accomplishment knowing that I built myself a computer from the parts up that is more stable than most of the "Dells" I support at work.