Server lag? What's your experience

looneypumpkin

GC Board Member

Wanting to gather what sort of user experience you are having on the GC servers. As we build back up our member base and make improvements, we want to see if it is worthwhile to do any upgrades. Likely not right away but potentially in the future as members sign up again, we can afford some better things on the server.

Soda mentioned some lag. I logged on last night for the first time in almost 2yrs and experienced the same. I'm in St. Louis and the server is Chicago, so my ping showed 20-26ms. I was experiencing a lot of lag, sped up animations and sometimes the direction I was facing would suddenly change. Wondering if it is just me or if others see these issues too?

Post your experiences related specifically to server function! :)

GC Board Member

For context, I was referring to the updates from the server on my net graph while playing.

I think we had at least 12 players on, and I was noticing that the incoming updates got as low as 20-30, when on 60 tick you of course are looking to send and receive 60 updates per second.

My outgoing updates were solid around 60, as I assume it is for most, if not all players.

Note: I was playing with cl_interp_ratio at -1 and cl_interp at 0, which, to my understanding, sets your interpolation rate to some calculation that I can't recall at the moment.

I checked the server statistics and did not see anything alarming, but they weren't as informative as I would prefer, so I'm interested if others can confirm or deny having similar experiences.