Worldview...

Watchtower

Matthew 19:23-30

23 And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." 25 When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?" 26 And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." 27 Then Peter said to Him, "Behold, we have left everything and followed You; what then will there be for us?" 28 And Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive many times as much, and will inherit eternal life. 30 "But many who are first will be last; and the last, first.

John 3:16-21

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gaveHis only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

2 Timothy 1:8-10

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has savedus and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity, 10 but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,

Something to note on John 3"16-19. In the new testament greek the word world has three different uses. The first and most commom refers to the population of the world, all people. The second and next most used refers to the sinful world. The third and lastly used, refers to the earth, the physical world. It not once refers the "world of Christians". So when it says that God sent Christ to save the world, it most likely refers to all people. Not that all will be saved, but that all are covered by His blood and are able to accept this amazing grace. So in answer to your question, i think it relatively clear that all can be saved, though not all will be.

As to the other side of the question. There is a group of people who are called Jehovah's Witnesses who believe that there is in fact a certain number who can saved. 144,000 to be specific as they are. Its just ridiculous. Their refence in the bible is to

Revelation 7:4:And I heard the number of those who were sealed, one hundred and forty-four thousand sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel.

Its a cultish thing to do, as in post a certain thing that truly isnt certain.

Answered?

jane

Watch, some people (mormons specifically I believe) believe that only a certain number of people will be admitted into Heaven....they also feel that each person admitted to Heaven will become a god over their own world...

they take the verses (specifically the Revelations ones) that talk about the 144,000 quite literally...most Evangelical Christians (the kind that say Christianity is the only way) don't follow that belief.

and basically, the Bible doesn't specifically say either way...but it leads me to believe that if you believe, that's it...

The 144,000 that Revelations mentions is speaking specifically about Jewish people, the tribes of Judah, 12,000 from each tribe. It is also in debate whether this is merely a figurative number but I have found, for me, that the best way to interpret Revelations is that if the word usage is figurative in nature, the context/content is usually figurative. If the word usage is specific and detailed, the context is usually literal.

Later you hear John explain one of his visions and describes the people in have as "multitudes upon multitudes" (or something like that). So, no, I don't believe only a limited number will go (even though I believe God already knows the exact number of people who have/are/will accept Christ and will enter into heaven). I believe that all people have the opportunity. The just need to reach out and accept the free gift.