Gnosticism?

Watchtower

http://www.gnosis.org/gnintro.htm

speaks about them.

Gnostics claim that salvation comes form within. Not from Jesus. They think Jesus was divine, but not the "Saviour".

I find this train of thought kinda out there. It falls in line with Buhddism and all the other eastern religions in a way that kinda leaves out sin...it seems to say that God isnt all that close to us, and that we have to figure it out for oursleves. At the same time they seem to mention that salvation is not a thing we can achieve by oursleves. its all too confusing for me. Playaa? Dweez?

jane out

well they use the G. O T. but basically what that is, is a collection Jesus' sayings(which some are in the rest of the gospels and the others arent"). It doesnt give context of the saying and doesnt tell and parable. Its kinda like a really choppy version of Matthew, but its really not very useful.

jane

yeah the Gospel of Thomas...it's quite...odd.

check it out sometime...there are sayings of Jesus but some of them make absolutely NO SENSE and if you just think about conversations you've had what they would have sounded like out of context...yeah that's what the Gospel of Thomas sounds like...

anyone who's read it should EASILY see that it doesn't fit in the Bible and why it was rejected by the origional Christians as "divine work".

but still...interesting to read.

one BIG problem I have with it is that people take statements in it as flowing thoughts.

I've been to yahoo newsgroups where people argued for months over 2 thoughts in the GOT that came back to back...but clearly weren't SAID back to back...

yet they argued their meaning as if they were one clear thought...and they did so for months...it's really disheartening actually.