Router Question

My Linksys BEFSR41 has run fine for about 2 years now, I upgraded to the latest firmware about 4 months ago. In the last couple of weeks it has started acting odd.

When I let it download things on WinMX overnight or even just let it sit there for a while (more than an hour say) and come back to it there is about a 1 in 4 chance that I'll move the mouse, the monitor wakes up, then I can check WinMX and see that it is still downloading so I know I'm connected, but as soon as I try to open IE, Outlook, or other web app it will hose all internet connections. This will happen without WinMX running also, but WinMX actively shows downloading so I mention it.

I then have to unplug the power on the Linksys for a few seconds and let it have about 20 seconds to settle itself and then I have connection again. The only things I've installed since this started happening are BF:Vietnam and Farcry (no Gamespy or other junk installed with them). I ran a full virus scan.

Router biting it? Windows power management setting?

I'm not sure what the lifespan on a router should be but it doesn't sound good for yours. Have you checked with your ISP to make sure they are not having outages?

i dont know homer, sounds like your router is dying. It shouldnt be software since you've only installed a few things. Is your router getting hot? <- doesnt sound like a good solution because it still runs winMX. But, If my room is hot and I have both my machines on as well as my roomates machines running into my router, my dlink gets so hot it stops working.

I'm not sure if this is related or not ....but..... 2 days ago I was going to download a few songs. So I loaded up WinMX, but had no response to my searches. I forgot I had reset the router and lost my server setting. So i figured I'd just check my logs to see which port it was hitting. I get it, but about the same time I notice ALOT of activity happening!

On my other PC, i get a promt from AIM saying I am logged in somewhere else as well.

In my logs I see outgoing info for aol messenger, msn, etc, etc. Almost as if it was hijacking. I am positive it was WinMX and I'm positive it was not a trojan. I never seen this before with WinMX, but maybe WinMX is your problem? If yours is doing the same, maybe all the in and outgoing is killing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a D-Link DI-624 router from Fry's for $90 - $20 rebate = $70. It's 802.11g wireless and claims to be 108Mbps, twice that of other 11g products. We'll see when I get a wireless card one day. So far it's "plug it in and it works", which I like.

I have a friend with the 802.11g Wireless router in question...It works well for him. It's still subject to the tremendous overhead of wireless routers, but still faster than plain 'ol standards-based 802.11g. There is something to note about the technology (I think it's called AirSpeed?): It is not 802.11 section compliant, i.e., DLink made its own protocol. It works by stealing bandwidth from all three of the nonoverlapping channels. This should not be a problem as long as (1) you don't need multiple access points to extend range (repeaters, etc.) and (2) you are not living within arm's reach of your neighbor's wireless router. In either case, the technologies should be the same for maximum effectiveness on both routers (either 108Mb enhanced or not).

Again, I wouldn't disable the 108Mb option -- I have a friend who uses it with great success, and I don't imagine there will be any problems. Also, I've used an 802.11b wireless connection and maintained low pings, so the wireless should be able to handle a gamer or two as well. Just a side note.

Gratz! Enjoy!

Homey,

Nice page! I'll link people to that from now on when they ask about such things.

As for the security, I totally forgot to mention that. Better keep your DOD and Homeland Security documents off of the network. Seriously, you may consider turning off the wireless until you use it (I think the DLink comes with it off by default, but I'm NOT sure) and definitely consider MAC address controlling when you put wireless devices on it. WEP is a good addition too if you like frustration. However, honestly, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with malicious warchalkers but I know of several virii that exploit the Automatic Windows Updater, downloading malicious code to the Windows Update mechanism without knowledge or consent. Update your Antivirii, ladies and gentlemen. Update now and update frequently.

Edited by appalachian_fox

Thanks! Slappy's always referring me here for random things and telling me I should just get off my chair and join. I don't have internet at home right now (*gasp!*) I was going into withdrawal. Posting to forums surreptitiously at work is one of the few things that keeps me sane now. That, and wonderful single-player game modes like Pandora Tomorrow and Farcry. But I digress from the topic...

The resolution is here.

I posted in the amdmb.com forums about this and was pointed there. It just involves downloading an older firmware and installing it, VERY easy to do.

Sounds like other routers are having issues too, so if you keep dropping connection check out that thread.