Not overheating

Playaa

so my computer really got bad today with the lockups while in game.

and after rebooting I notice that my heat is definatly maneagable...in the 40c range...not hot at all.

and sometimes when the game locks up I can get to windows and I get a graphics error that says my VGPU has stopped responding to commands and I need to restart the machine...

anyone ever seen this?

I have an ATI Radeo 9700 Pro AIW...

it ONLY does this while in games...(so far)

did it

not fixed

I removed the "exhaust fan" that I had below the video card (because the exhaust fan and the video card fan were trying to pull air in opposite directions and were less than an inch apart)

that didn't fix it

I removed the heatsink that I afixed to the BACK of the video card CPU (there were no directions with it and it fit perfectly there) thinking that I had put it on wrong and screwed something up...no fix...

did it...didn't work

why is it that my vid card seemed to work better when I didn't have any fan cooling it...just a huge ATI heatsink...

now that it's got a fan cooling it...it sucks...

the fan on the core of your gpu, did you install it ? how long since its been installed ? problems started when you installed it ?

its not making good contact, reseat it, use thermal paste. i think its overheating when it goes 3D.

it was installed by me.

I used Artic Silver paste to put it on...

I agree with you that I think it's overheating...but I don't know what to do...

hang on, I'm gonna get a link to show you exactly what I got

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-110-103&depa=0

that's the fan on it

now if you look at the images you'll see that it comes with 2 heatsinks...but the problem is that you cannot fit the heatsinks on top of the GPU AND put the fan on top...it won't work...I tried forever...

so what I origionally did was put the fan straight on the GPU using thermal paste (since it's looks like a copper heatsink sorta) and then put one of the heatsinks on the BACK of the GPU...

I've since taken the heatsink off the back of the GPU and it seems to be working better...

im not so sure i would put that on my Radeon man. R3xx cores ( such as your 9700Pro ) get very hot even at stock clocks. A heatsink and fan can only remove X amount of heat ( measured in wattage ) and i doubt a 3.5cfm fan on that small chipset base can do the job, even if properely mounted. Stick that thing on a chip on your mobo, its more suited for the job.

I recommend something better fitted at removing the amount of heat a Radeon card puts out. Try one of these, i personally am including one in my next order and i read good thing about them.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-186-101&depa=1

not sure if you noticed the drastic difference in pricing there

:D

yeah at the time I bought that fan there were 2 reviewers who put it on 9700 Pro's and they said it worked wonders...now there's 2 others who say it won't work...too bad those 2 weren't there when I bought the thing

well I DID get a check and pay off 90% of my bills already...but I now have like $50 in the bank and killer wants me to by a $30 fan...:D

ain't happening...

oddly enough, after I took off that little heatsink on the back it's been going longer between overheating...so I think that wasn't helping much...but it IS still overheating...

I'll get the fan eventually but until then...I just gotta live with it.

actually another thing I did was take that exhaust fan thing I had...and I put it just resting on top of one of my hard drives...so it's sucking air down from farther up in the case and then blowing that air over the video card (it's directly below the hard drive)...I think that may be helping a bit too

playaa i ran into the exact same problem you did setting up my new comp.

me and slaphappy figured the problem out tho.

tru it is overheating, but on my vid card (9600xt) there is an overdrive option

when i have that turn OFF no porblems running anything.

hope this helps till ya get a fan

well...it's test time

I took the Vantec GPU fan apart, ripped up the old ATI heatsink/fan and took the fan from the Vantec and made it work on the ATI heatsink. I figure, the ATI Heatsink by itself with no working fan kept the thing cooler than this vantec did...so now the ATI one has a fan...albeit one that spins at 1/2 the rpms that the stock fan was supposed to spin at....but the stock fan was spinning at 0rpms when I found it and I never had a problem (other than some artifacts every once in awhile)

we'll see

problem not solved...

I'm starting to think my video card may be permanently damaged or something...

so now the question is...do I spend the $30 for that good fan (and possibly not solve it), or do I spend $60 on a new video card (I don't need a great one right now, all I play is CS and NWN)