Bd example of Church/Easter

GLASSPORT, Pa.   A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

People who attended Saturday's performance at Glassport's memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, "There is no Easter bunny," and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who brought her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children.

"He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped," Salzmann said.

Patty Bickerton, the youth minister at Glassport Assembly of God (search), said the performance wasn't meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

"The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter bunny, it is about Jesus Christ," Bickerton said.

Performers broke eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt and also portrayed a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman, said Jennifer Norelli-Burke, another parent who saw the show in Glassport, a community about 10 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

"It was very disturbing," Norelli-Burke said. "I could not believe what I saw. It wasn't anything I was expecting."

Who in the world would think of whipping the easter bunny as a representation of Christ? LOL.

Why was Easter originally celebrated kids? * trying to sound as much like my dad as possible. Every year, at just about all holidays, my brother and I had to have this discussion with my dad about why we were celebrating and where it comes from :rolleyes:

No seriously, do we all know the significance(non-biblical) of this holiday? And what the Easter bunny represents? Bonus points for the first right answer..

Ohh cmon, you guys seriously don't know? Since Jane mentioned Christmas, I thought I'd share this

Lol, the last part is psycho :freak: lol

and this.

I don't know why they both have to end up kinda bashing Christianity tho. I just searched for "origin of santa" and "origin of christmas". I'm not trying to turn this into a bash-fest :)

We just covered Easter and Xmas origins not to long ago in here. They were both originally pagan holiday dates. Christianity used those dates to celebrate the birth and ressurection of Christ. These dates were chosen because they were already known dates. Never has it been said these were the actual dates though, just the dates we use to celebrate the events.

Easter was not even a widely celebrated holiday in the US until after the Civil War and the Easter Bunny was brought into the picture by Germans bringing over Pagan holiday beliefs. There is more but those are the highlights I remember off the top of my head.

It still gets away from the fact that a church whipped the easter bunny hehe.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Not the first time I've heard of churches doing something like this, and just another reason to chalk up to why organized religion holds no intrest to me what so ever.

Preist - Hey Kids! Guess what? See that bunny there, we're going to whip it! Then all the eggs you thought you were going to have fun with? We'll break them to!

:bang:

although i dont agree how they went along portraying what Easter is. I agree with the idea. It's not about The bunny and easter eggs. It's about Jesus and his last days alive. The same can be said about Santa Claus. Sure that stems back to St. Nick who was nice to people but it was in the name of Jesus. He didn't give out presents just cuz he could. People have forgotten the true meaning of these holidays. Now this is being done to make money. It's a shame...really