Fatty's "Level Design 101 Adventure

Stardate 12415.1512453093

Note to self: Do not drink while trying to learn how to create UT levels. It does not quicken the process.

Ok, here's a couple screens from the tutorial map I'm working on:

The basic outline before I finish chopping out the platforms:

fatty_tutor_1.gif

And then, once I'm done with both the 2nd and 3rd level ring choppzors, I jump in the map:

fatty_tutor_2.gif

I'm amazed at the power of this program, and I've only skimmed it thusfar.

Projects in mind:

-Justwar2 for UT (for those of you that don't know, justwar2 is my pride and joy half-life map)

-Criss-cross-crash map with the scorpion cars on a matchbox type track that simulates the old criss-cross-crash track.

-I have a secret ONS map idea that I just can't share lest it be created. I think that if I or (more likely) a real editor took the time to make real the concept, it would make it on the real list).

GC Founder

BTW, I am uploading the 3DBuzz video tutorials (a little bit at a time because they total over 7 GB) for anyone to use, per Crowbar's request. I thought they came with UT.

Did UnrealEd come with the 6 disc version?

GC Founder

Hmmmm.....it's gotta be out there for d/l somewhere....it just was installed for me in when UT was installed.

You sure? Check Start>Programs>UT2004 for me. Heck, I didn't think I had UnrealEd installed until I looked there. If it's not there, we'll find it.

GC Founder

fatty_tutor_6.gif

fatty_tutor_7.gif

fatty_tutor_8.gif

BTW, that elevator in the middle works, and I know you just wanna ride it for hours!!!

Hey, if you're that inclined: download the map (at this stage, this won't be updated) and run it!

Got some little things I don't like...lights need moved around, some pipes are a tad crooked....I'm starting to want to get through the tutorial and start something new, so I've started letting little things go.

GC Founder

I'm working on 7, although it's being a pain because for some reason I can't move vertices. If I open a new map, create a building area and create a brush, I can move vertices no problem, but somehow, in this map, I've messed it up. Where the outer ramps come down in 7, I'm gonna have to just make some blocky areas, because it's quite a hassle if you can't just pull your vertices around to match.....so my map is going to be different there.

Doorways and windows done....here's my latest pics:

fatty_tutor_9.gif

fatty_tutor_10.gif

GC Founder

Had to get creative with the piping in the hallways because he calls for vertice adjusting on the junction boxes. I just found some other things to go in there, etc. It actually gets more enjoyable when you deviate from the tutorial a bit.

Here's a shot from the editor to give you some contrast from the original one I posted. Getting quite complex. Finished with part 7 of Level Design 101.

fatty_tutor_11.gif

OOOOOooohhh...I just peeked at the next couple sessions...aesthetics really start to shape up...the eye candy is applied soon! Lights and textures and such!

GC Founder

It's just following directions.

But anyways, I'm not going to be completing this level...I'll just finish watching the videos. Basically the final touches are being put on, and I don't want to put more time into someone else's map. It's time to make justwar2ut!

Anyways, here's where I'm leaving it:

fatty_tutor_12.gif

fatty_tutor_13.gif