AMD 64 cpu/chipset/mobo thread

woot, I cant wait till this fall when I get another finacial aid check.

By then, AMD will have released more flavors of its A64's, so the price has to drop. PCI-E will be standard, and the dust wil have settled, hopefully there will be more applications taking advantage of 64-bit computing by then also.

NF3 250gb on Tom's.

Some of the best news quotes I've seen in a while:

Soon the talk was of the nForce3 250, which was expected to boost the HyperTransport bus width from only 8 bits and 600 MHz to a more suitable 16 bits and 800 MHz. And truth be told, the nForce3 250 Gb is now equipped for operation at 1 GHz, which will become a reality with the new socket 939 in a few weeks.

As far as technology is concerned, AMD will create a respectful distance between the "new" AthlonXP and the Athlon64 by continuing to reduce the L2 cache to 256 KB.

The second socket is socket 939, which in May is slated to replace the well-known socket 940. In the summer, Athlon64 processors based on AMD's 90 nm version will come with a dual-channel DDR controller.

We can expect the 4200+ by the first quarter 2005.

In a few weeks a test will show whether or not the narrow performance advantage of the nForce3 250 Gb in socket 939 can be expanded.

What everyone really wants to know is "do I wait for Socket 939 on June 1st?" Socket 939 will be a great performer, but with prices as cheap as they are now waiting another 5 weeks for first revision boards is probably not the best idea. If you feel you need the PCI Express option on a first generation 939 motherboard then the wait might be worth it. Just consider Radeon X800 and GeForce 6800 both have some life left in AGP for the time being.

Seen on Anandtech.

VIA K8T800 Pro review on Tom's

The Pro version now solves this problem by allowing the AGP bus to be set to 66 MHz and the PCI bus to 33 MHz. In addition, VIA has bumped up the speed of the HyperTransport bus, which connects the Northbridge and Southbridge, to 1 GHz compared to 800 MHz of the non-Pro version. However, this represents the sole major innovation that VIA has added to the new chipset compared to its predecessor.

Looks like the 1 Ghz HT does zero for performance over the 800mhz HT bus.

• 2 weeks later...

hey Homer, is your oc limited by needing agp/pci locks or heat ? i just found out that if you boot in on a nf3-150 board at 201 and use clock-gen to oc your locked. boot in at 200 and use clock-gen and its not. Dont know how true this is but sounds interesting, i would try it if i had an A64 :P