upgrading to p4

what chip should I select?

north © or presscott (e)? Did I get these right?

I want the better. I will probably go to a 2.8 since it about 75.00 bucks less than a 3.0.

also should I get the 1mb l2 cache on it?

I'll probably go with a soyo mb since ive built like 8 of em and they are all perfect where I know too many people who buy the higly praised asus (i bought one too) and 4 of em ran like crap or didnt run at all.

But the chip i need help on

Auggy

homes in the benchmarks i read the p4 still outshined the a64

by quite a margin on the music and video stats.

I read tons on that stuff and all the musicians I know who do digital audio said the p4 was way ahead of amd on this end. In the reviews I read on video rendering or audio converison ad/da seems the p4 is still king.

Since this is my biggest concern I'll stick with the p4

But after reading I think i'll stick with the north since it runs much cooler and the prescott does not beat it out by much at all.

Doesnt seem worth it to me. I think I'll buy a MB that can support both though in case I go to like a 22 ghz system some day :)

Thanks for the advice though, its scarry buying stuff and then after you purchase it like an hour later you find something better for less money....ever done that?

Northwood. My 3.0c idles at 39C with Abit temp monitoring. 2.8c idles at 31C with Asus temp monitoring. Performance between and A64 and a Northwood is not noticable, Northwood wins a few, A64 wins a few.

1MB cache is better than 512Kb

Not at the cost of increased latency to access it.

(edited)
1MB cache is better than 512Kb

Not at the cost of increased latency to access it.

ah really? I havent read any reviews or anything,

but I would think accessing that extra half a meg of cache still has to be faster than if you didnt have it all and you was accessing your data from your RAM instead?

Edited by NOFX

guys let me ask you this,

what is the difference in chipsets such as

a mb with SiS 648FX + SiS 963L or a intel 865P + ICH5?

what are these chipsets and what do they do?

are there any advantages in choosing on over the other?

as for the heat of the prescott I just cant see bumping up so little and daling with that much heat. I think my next upgrade after the 3.0 north will be the intel 64 bit chip in devolopment in a couple years. Perhaps that may not even be worth the money.

Auggy

your chipset on your motherboard controls how everything in your PC communicates with one another, 865PE chipset is what you want the ICh5 is for raid if you want that.86epe vs 875 minimal difference

Im almost %100 sure the 865PE is better than a SiS chipset.

one last question on hard drives.

is the sata worth it. I've got 2 drives right now.

1 40 gig 7200 rpm 8mb cache and

1 180 gig 7200 rpm 8mb cache.

is it worth to get a 10,000 rpm sata or is it a waste of money?

I read reviews and people say its the bomb. But I read the poor reviews and like 1 outta 10 people say its hardly a difference in system performance.

Some people say the 10,000 rpm stuff fail quite often so I'm kinda leary of just purchaing one and tossing 100 bucks into the trash.

if someones got any expereince or knowledge on these I would appreciate hearing your wisom.

Auggy

i can notice a difference from 7200rpm to 10000rpm, more of a difference then i thought i would. Also most Northwood from newegg are new revisions right now with all the caps on the core. Mine is up to 240fsb with stock volts so far, im taking a break cause it hasnt crashed yet at 3.6ghz. :)

cool man, yea follow that guide up top i made, should help some then ask all the questions ya need in that thread :D You will enjoy your 3.0c, their fast stock. Vantec Aeroflow is a good heatsink/fan all in one for around 20bux, it should get your 3.4 with some thermal paste. I just topped mine out at 248fsb, 3.72ghz with 1.55v. 43/54 idle/load with as5/80mm 50cfmfan/ slk-947U. :cheers:

what mobo ? if your going for p4p800 then i recommend Ai7 over it. More bios options with alot more freedom. The abit utilities are even more in depth. Mobo has a little digital readout built in too that displays numbers that correspond to numbers in the user manual for troubleshooting.

killer what about oc the C with a retail intel fan?

also if i get a fan can i get one thats rateed for a faster cpu

for example I purchase a 3.0c witha fan rated for a 3.6 p4

will the cpu run too cool and thus effect or kill it?

will it work cause thats the one i was gonna purchase

auggy

also one more

i could just go to a 2.6c in my current motherboard and save myself 200 bucks. will there be a big diff between a 800mhz fsb 3.0 and a 533mhz fsh at 2.6?

it the diff is minimal perhaps I should just upgrade the chip?

Auggy

that should work fine. if your case has some good airflow i dont see any problems but overclocks arent guarenteed. anything faster then stock is free. you can never run a cpu too cool until you start getting down past -200C, you should be ok there too.

def. go with the 800mhz cpu's over the 533. It will last you longer.

RAID hooks two drives up as one larger one to use two channels to pump data to the system.

It's akin to dual-channel DDR - where it runs two sticks of RAM, giving half the instructions to each stick at a time. See the pinned thread above on hard drive scores too.

Edited*