Love or Ignorance?

Retired professor, wife found dead

TIFFIN (AP) -- A University of Iowa professor and his wife who were upset over health problems were found dead of an apparent suicide.

Donald McDonald, 72, and his wife Barbara, 70, were found Saturday morning in the garage of their home in this town just west of Iowa City. Authorities said they were seated in their sports utility vehicle, holding hands. A compact disc of flute music was playing, they said.

A hose outside the vehicle was connected to the exhaust pipe of a second SUV, the investigators said.

Friends said the couple left a pair of suicide notes that outlined concerns about worrisome development in both Donald and Barbara's health.

Donald McDonald had been diagnosed with prostate cancer several years ago, and had undergone heart-valve replacement surgery in the 1990s. Barbara McDonald suffered from a long bout of unexplained back pain.

"He was very health-conscious, and I'm sure this weighed very heavily on him," said Keith Cherryholmes, a former student of Donald's and a longtime family friend.

Cherryholmes said he knew of the couple's health problems, but that they gave no indication they had worsened during a recent phone conversation.

Barbara was Donald's third wife and his high school sweetheart. Long after they had lost touch, Barbara received news of Donald's second wife's battle with cancer and wrote him to commiserate, Cherryholmes said. The two were married shortly thereafter.

"They were obviously in love, and they were enjoying spending a lot of time together," said Jerald Schnoor, a longtime colleague of Donald's at the university's College of Engineering.

Donald, an environmental scientist who studied microorganisms in Iowa's lakes and rivers, taught at the University of Iowa for about 35 years before retiring in the late 1990s.

He was most notably known for his pioneering study of wastewater from Iowa's only nuclear power plant, the Duane Arnold Energy Center in Palo, but he also monitored the Mississippi River and the Coralville Reservoir.

He still visited the university weekly with reports on his monitoring efforts, Schnoor said.

Investigators said the couple were discovered by a son-in-law who earlier had arranged to borrow something Saturday.

Police said they believe the couple died of self-inflicted carbon monoxide poisoning, but will wait on medical tests before closing the investigation.

"At this point, it appears they died sometime during the night," said Johnson County Sheriff's Detective Sgt. Doug Vannoy. "We do not see any foul play."

Donald's son-in-law and wife, identified by family friends as Donald's daughter, said they were too upset to comment.

I just thought it was interesting. This kind of act gives me the chills, but i can't decide if they are the good or the bad ones. What are your thoughts?

odd...at first I thought it was gonna be another religious nut who killed his wife and blamed it on God...

this I don't know about...I mean I'm not a supporter of suicide by far...but at the same time I have no idea what it's like to be old and unhealthy and close to death...

I will say this...we as humans have always enjoyed stories that involve death of 2 lovers for each other (Romeo and Juliet?)...but when it comes to real life we don't know what to think

im not religious in the least bit and think to each their own. My mother commited suicide when i was 8 and she was religous, she was christian and spoke of heaven alot and i would like to atleast think that she is there.

Watchtower, show me where suicide disqualifies a christian from going to heaven for commiting suicide please ?

forgot about the thread topic...

I think what that couple did was great. They were happy together and very much in love. they didnt want to ruin their great lives with pain and suffering for themselves in the end. sleep well.

This story was very close to my boss, he was his mentor in college. (is that right, well he looked up to him) He was a toxicoligist, what the newspaper left out is that they first took a lethal dose of ricin, then went to the car. The CO was a back up just in case if the risin didn't get them both. I've always said i want to see it coming, but i hope that it will never be at my own hands.

I remember someone here saying that suicide is a sin that you can't be forgiven of.. Since you're last act is a sin, you can't be forgiven..

Keep in mind, these are not my beliefs.

Suicide is the act of taking a life. There is no where in the scriptures that allows for taking a life, save for the cause of "punishment of evil doers" and "self defence". To take ones life is to murder ones self. Murder is a sin that can be forgiven if the murderer repents. But if the person is dead, of course he can not repent and will therefore go to hell.

There is only one sin that can not be forgiven, which is "blaspheming the Holy Ghost". Surely, when you take your life that God gave you, you are committing this sin.

I forget who said it here but I know it has come up. Anyhow, I'm sure as well as you she is not in a bad place regardless of any belief system. Hopefully she is soaring with the eagles...

some people do believe that...however according to the Christian beliefs when you accept Christ you're forgiven of all sins...we still ask for forgiveness out of guilt and sorrow

It is a big misconception that sin is what prevents a person from going to Heaven. While it is true, that sin separates us from God, what keeps us out of Heaven is not accepting Jesus Christ's gift of salvation. Through His act on the cross, his blood paid the price for sin for all time, we just have to accept it.

Understanding that, it is not logical to make the statement that because a person kills his/herself, they are automatically excluded from Heaven since he/she cannot ask forgiveness for this final sin. This does not mean that I believe that all believers who commit suicide still make it to Heaven, as no one can know the heart of a person at such a time but God Himself but I like to be optimistic, especially if I am dealing with a grieving survivor.

Right.. Any and all sin is punishible by death.. But does that mean hell? I don't think so.. So on the same note, that murderer on death row will likely be next to you in heaven.. Although I'm sure he'll be nicer in heaven.. I think this is actually another discussion about works... Works, good or bad, really don't have much bearing.

This does not mean that I believe that all believers who commit suicide still make it to Heaven, as no one can know the heart of a person at such a time but God Himself but I like to be optimistic, especially if I am dealing with a grieving survivor.

Yeah I think about this quite a bit actually.. I mean how could Anyone look at someones mother, son, aunt, uncle brother and tell them their loved one is burning right now and forever.. But for some it could be a stark reality. You think many people are in hell right now?

honestly Watch, I do think there are alot of people in Hell...including people I loved...and I don't think God looks at our works as much as humans think...I think he looks more at the heart (which is something humans don't see)...so there may be people in heaven that I thought would be in Hell and vice versa

so there may be people in heaven that I thought would be in Hell and vice versa

I just think that is horrible to think or "know" that someone you love is burning in hell Forever... There's no way you could convince me, and I don't think it is very healthy for one to have these thoughts regularly...