Harry Potter

soul .gc

Saw this last night with the wife. We liked it a lot. It is definately not for the younger kids this time since there were a few scenes that made my wife jump out of her seat.

It follows the book quite well and there is only one thing that disappointed me but I will save it for later since I do not want to say anything till others have seen it.

It is being released on IMAX as well but we were not there in time to see it on the HUGE screen....I really wanted to see it on IMAX.

Anyways - This is a great movie for everyone but those under 10. The actng is great for these superstar kids, the special affects are outstanding and the entertainment is wonderful.

We gave it a 85/100.

P.S. Hermanie / Emma Thompson is turning into a real hottie!!

Saw this last night with the wife. We liked it a lot. It is definately not for the younger kids this time since there were a few scenes that made my wife jump out of her seat.

It follows the book quite well and there is only one thing that disappointed me but I will save it for later since I do not want to say anything till others have seen it.

It is being released on IMAX as well but we were not there in time to see it on the HUGE screen....I really wanted to see it on IMAX.

Anyways - This is a great movie for everyone but those under 10. The actng is great for these superstar kids, the special affects are outstanding and the entertainment is wonderful.

We gave it a 85/100.

P.S. Hermanie / Emma Thompson is turning into a real hottie!!

yes I saw this in downtown disney world, awesome movie! I'm back home and I think im going to see it again.

Its funny to see my in there watching it with all the little kids, im like this huge giant kid :-)

ps... shes rich too :lol:

Edited by Sir Shertown Pimp

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Great movie, still pales in comparrison to the books tho.

They skipped a lot of stuff (read: Lupin) but the first hour or so was great.

I'd give it a 9.5/10 for someone that doesnt' read the books and an 8/10 for someone that does.

And good note on Hermionee... they started to cover her up near teh end actually.. heh.

Give her a year or two and boom! Still has a bit of a kiddy face IMO.

You thought it was good?

It was awful!

I enjoyed the other two, and the books very much. However, this movie was a no go.

Here are some reasons

1) The director tried to turn a childrens book into a dark movie. True the book is darker this time, but not this dark. Trying to turn a childrens book into something evil is no good. Even the stuff that was stupposed to be funny was dark...

2) Dementors dont fly, nor do they shoot around the air like fighter jets after people on broomsticks

3) Wizard or not, you dont survive getting hit by lightning

4) The movie was to rushed. Had i not read the books i wouldnt know what was going on. This is because this book is slightly longer than the other two. Thus, in order to make the movie they needed to fit everything important form the book in. This made it so that EVERY scene had some importance, there was no fun background scenes, just plot related important ones. This is a no go.

5) Dementors arnt fighter jets

6) Harry and Sirrius kinda formed a bond, it wasnt just, one second they were mortal enemies the next they were living with each other. Harry kind of gained a sinking suspicion throughout the book that somethign was amiss with the black story...

7) dementors arnt fighter jets

Wizard or not, you dont survive getting hit by lightning

Many people survive each year.

It was awful!

Perhaps saying it a different way would be less confrontational? Like; "I thought it was awful".

I will be interested to see other responses as the weeks go by....is it the best Potter movie yet? or the worst?

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Saw it yesterday night, it blew man boobies. It was a horrible movie, made me laugh, but it was at the serious scences, where you're supposed to be solemn --, but it did make me afraid, just because I hate the idea of a werewolf. Other then that, it was a waste of 8 dollars. =\

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Harry Potter is a childrens book

I've read TONS of books throughout my life and HP is in no way a "childrens book"...just because it's a book that goes well with all ages does not mean it can be put in that one category.

I haven't seen the movie yet but am looking forward to it...this was the first book I read in the series and I understand alot is changed for the movie...but just like the Lord of the Rings, I consider the movies and books seperate (books were boring, movies were some of the best ever)

Harry Potter started out as a children's book series. Right about this book (book 3) it started expanding because Knowles (I think that is the author's name) found that it was also popular with many adults. From this book on, it started becoming darker and the books started almost doubling in size.

As for the books being boring, I don't know if you are talking about the LOTR or HP but in my experience (having read both series and having seen all the movies except for HP3) the books are always MUCH better.

I was talking about LOTR...I am NOT discrediting Tolkien in any way...but I find his writing style boring and uninviting. However his storytelling (which IS different than writing style) is some of the best of all time as are his stories.

I think the movies of LOTR were a hundred times better than the books. I think the HP books are tons better than the HP movies but I still enjoy the movies (and like I said, I don't judge them based on each other)

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

The second was my least favourite of the series, and actually the only one I rank.. I like the other 4 all equally! (Although, I didn't like what "happened" in the 5th [sorry, I REFUSE To ruin this for anyone because finding it out from an idiot at school put me in a pretty bad mood.. who flips to the last 3 chapters the day after they get the book anyway? ARGH!)

I didn't really like how they showed that one spell which's name is escaping me right now, nor did I like how rushed it became after they got to the school (I was very much so enjoying it until that point actually) but I think it was the best of the 3 movies still.

Harry Potter books ARE childrens books. Perhaps young adult books if anything.

The style in which they are written, the silly things, and the lack of adult violence etc. are what makes them childrens books. True, they have advanced a little farther, when Rowling understood that she could attract and adult audience too. But they are childrens books.

WHen i said no one survives getting hit by lightning. I know you cna survive. I met a guy once! He was really funny, apparently he was holding onto this flagpole and it got hit by lightning. He was clinically dead but got revived.

I mean like, you get hit by lightning, it goesnt cause comcial shocks to shoot up and down yoru body.

See I think the books are more adult then children at this stage. The first book was definately for kids but the rest have grown a lot in the reader age brackets.

To you they may seem like children's books, to others they are not.

The style in which they are written, the silly things, and the lack of adult violence etc. are what makes them childrens books. True, they have advanced a little farther, when Rowling understood that she could attract and adult audience too. But they are childrens books.

WHen i said no one survives getting hit by lightning. I know you cna survive. I met a guy once! He was really funny, apparently he was holding onto this flagpole and it got hit by lightning. He was clinically dead but got revived.

I mean like, you get hit by lightning, it goesnt cause comcial shocks to shoot up and down yoru body.

Just because a book doesn't contain a lot of graphic violence, cussing, sex, drugs and other stuff like that doesn't necessarily categorized it as a children's book. This book contains a lot of interesting subject matter some would consider wasted on the younger crowd and therefore dependant on a older group. For instance, I'm reading winnie the pooh for my philosophy class :=

Wizard or not, you dont survive getting hit by lightning

More people get killed by coconuts than get killed by lightning... or maybe its only more people get killed by coconuts than by sharks

Just because a book doesn't contain a lot of graphic violence, cussing, sex, drugs and other stuff like that doesn't necessarily categorized it as a children's book. This book contains a lot of interesting subject matter some would consider wasted on the younger crowd and therefore dependant on a older group. For instance, I'm reading winnie the pooh for my philosophy class :=

you guys seem to be missing my point. Its not that there isnt drugs and cussing and sex and violence that makes it a childrens books. There are thousands of adult books that dont have this either. This is just one of the factors that add up to it being a childrens book.

Mainly, its just the way they are written, a dark plot doesnt mean its an adult book.

I fart in your general direction

I second that. But seriously you can't compare Tolkien and Rowling. In my opinion the books i've read and the movies i've seen based on them, books are always better. I read all thre LOTR, the books contained so much more than in the movie. Sure you can't put everything in, it'd be a 5 hour movie. But that's why there's a book, so you can write as much as you want and not care.

I think it was well done for a book-based movie. Sure, some of the interesting things from the books were taken out due to time constraints, but I think they did the overall plot quite well. Letting silly, small or insignificant things get to you will make it seem far worse than it is.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fourth movie (the book being about as long as the entire LOTR series). I'm SURE that movie is going to flop.. they could take two hours doing the first 15 chapters of that book.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
I think it was well done for a book-based movie. Sure, some of the interesting things from the books were taken out due to time constraints, but I think they did the overall plot quite well. Letting silly, small or insignificant things get to you will make it seem far worse than it is.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fourth movie (the book being about as long as the entire LOTR series). I'm SURE that movie is going to flop.. they could take two hours doing the first 15 chapters of that book.

The 4th will apparently have 2 parts.. kinda like Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions :/.