My Download Speeds

Fatty

Ok, you may have read that I had my DSL upgraded to 1500/256.

I still don't know how that totally how to translate this or that from the above numbers to KB/S or Mbps blah blah blah.

I just took this screen while d/ling something from FP. I can also give you reports from some of those speed test. What I need to know is if I'm getting anywhere near what I should be.

fpdownloadspeed.gif

Ok, well, here's some results from the dslreports site, and it looks as though the measurements are comparable to 1500/256:

Yours  «1209 down

«207 up

Is that close enough to what I should expect?

Well, after seeing this:

B. Transmission "overhead" is a portion of the bandwidth that is required for correcting corrupt data during transmission. Overhead also is needed to transmit network routing and connectivity information. A general rule of thumb: you can expect to see approximately 80% of line speed (bandwidth) as actual throughput due to these necessary "overhead" packets.

You seem right on. With a 20% overhead for data correction, you'd be at 1200/205. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say you're getting what you're paying for.

I'll be switchin' over to dsl next friday.

It's download is 1.5 to 3.0 Mbps. It's upload is 384 Kbps.

And it's cheaper then cable. So, Im gonna give it a go.

I'll run some tests on it once I get it hooked up. And I'll let y'all know how I like it.

looks correct. usually your actual transfers are a bit slower than you're line's limit. 1500 kbps should have you download between 1 mb/s and 1.5 mb/s, though on particularly good connections you may get higher.

http://www.2wire.com/?p=154&inc=bm500&5613 is a good place to check your speed.

Actually, 1500 kilobits/second translate int 1.875Mbps as it is an 8-1 ration. Also, the speeds advertised by ISPs are top/optimal speeds and you will probably rarely see the peak.

I agree with MrX. With the info he quoted, you sound like you are getting the proper bandwith throughput.

Yes, MrX is correct. There is Overhead calculated into the bandwitdh for data bit correction. It's used in all types of communications. Especially for voice & data transmissions.

So, you won't actually be able to achieve said bandwitdh speeds. But, you should be fairly close to them.

GC Founder

Lunk, when I went from cable to DSL, I loved it. It's so consistent....they oversold cable really fast in my area, dunno about yours, so it went up and down, depending on the time (basically depending on how many users were online).

Actually, 1500 kilobits/second translate int 1.875Mbps as it is an 8-1 ration. Also, the speeds advertised by ISPs are top/optimal speeds and you will probably rarely see the peak.

I agree with MrX. With the info he quoted, you sound like you are getting the proper bandwith throughput.

1.875? How did u come up with that?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Sorry fatty, thought someone already answered you. Your speeds look correct to me if you factor in overhead. You are in the go.

dunno, I was on crack yesterday. Lack of sleep, lots of packing and moving. I was just doing all kinds of weird math in my head.

I divided 1500 by 8 and got 187.5 which didn't seem right so my funkiness did something else funky.

Dunno, from now on I will just keep my mouth shut...year right.