hows this sound?

spiralstairs

This is the computer I'm (maybe) going to buy. Its one of those Shuttle PCS.

The specs are:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB

RAM: 2GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel

Video Card: Radeon 9800XT 256MB

Hard drive: 160GB SATA 7200RPM (or 74GB 10000RPM 8MB Cache? which is a lot more dough, and less space)

i will be using this for gaming/music production.

-noah

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB

I would maybe get a 3.2GHz P4 processor.

There would be less chance of heat problems and the 3.4 and 3.6 models produce insane amounts of heat.

The 9800XT video card is old hat.

Try to get a new gen card if possible.

I was under the impression the 9800XT was next gen, shows what i know...that is the best card that Shuttle PC seems to offer with their comps... and it says there is a specialized cooling system to get rid of all the heat made by this card... does that mean that these systems won't be able handle next-gen cards (assuming they make more heat than the 9800xt, which makes sense since theyre more powerful)?

one more thing: should i go for the P4 or AMD Athlon 64 3400?

(edited)
These new cards don't put off barely more heat then the old cards. DDR3 runs cooler, the core's are drawing less volts then 9800's do.

Exactly.

Shuttles won't have problems with any video cards that fit into them(single slot solutions).

6800GT, x800Pro, X800XT

Those are your choices for high end video cards in a Shuttle PC.

All are almost twice as fast as a 9800XT is many cases.

Edited by Birdman

The Fragbox is a mini-pc built by Falcon Northwest.

FragBox 2 destroys the limitations of Small Form Factor! We have completely redesigned the FragBox, improving every aspect of the award winning original. FragBox 2 has a 520 Watt power supply as standard equipment, capacity for two hard disk drives, and a standard micro-ATX motherboard featuring the fastest PCI Express chipset in the world. All this is packed into a case about the size of a shoebox! It even features an integrated handle for easy portability. FragBox 2 comes with your choice of illuminated faceplates. The FragBox logo version includes windowed side panels and interior lighting to showcase your excellent taste in hardware. It makes a bold statement. The Falcon Northwest logo version is finished in black brushed aluminum for a more elegant look.

fb207.jpg

Configured with:

P4 3.4

2 Gig Corsair DDR2

ATI X800XT PE 256MB

160 Gig 7200rpm SATA

Plextor DVD/RW

Audigy II ZS Platinum Pro

Cordless keyboard/mouse combo

NEC 19in CRT

Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 sound system

= $4,829.00

...wonder how much that would cost to build on newegg...

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I can tell you right now that the 6800 vid cards are not going to fit well if at all in the Shuttle cases. They are signifigantly longer than the x800 cards.

Okay, finally ordered it, after procrastinating for about 3 years (the whole, this comp will be outdated in 3 months, and be 1000 bucks cheaper deal)! Got a Shuttle. Thanks for all your help.

3.2 ghz

2 gb kingston

x800 pro vivo 256mb

some nice, 6.1 speakers.

160 gb drive

-noah

I can tell you right now that the 6800 vid cards are not going to fit well if at all in the Shuttle cases. They are signifigantly longer than the x800 cards.

All the 6800GT's that are single slot solutions fit into the Shuttles. :D

3.2 ghz

2 gb kingston

x800 pro vivo 256mb

some nice, 6.1 speakers.

160 gb drive

Congrats man.

Hope you enjoy it. ^_^

I want 2gig of RAM and a 256mb X800 Pro...

seriously though, that will work awsome for the gaming, hope it does equally well with the music recording.

You will probably find that you'll need a sound card as well. The onboard sound probably won't cut it for music production. A lot of people tout the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum cards, but I wouldn't go with a Creative Labs card. They work well, usually, but they come with lots of useless software. The Turtle Beach or M-Wave cards seem to be a much better deal, and they're a lot cheaper. Check out some of them on Newegg, customer reveiws for the 7.1 Turtle Beach card and the M-Wave cards are quite positive.