Still having trouble!

General J

Is it too much to ask to just get to play the game I spent $40 on?!? At this point, I don't care if I actually get to play it or not, I just want to be able to install the stupid thing. FarCry still will not install. I tried to do the clean boot and copy everything from the cd's into a folder and then install. Same error as before. "error 1335 : the file data1.cab is corrupted. this could be a network error, a problem with the cd-rom reading, or this package." grr.

I don't think it is my dvd-rom since I can install Windows easily and games such as half-life and rainbow six. But it seems like anything with .cab files is a no no. Nothing ever just works for me... There always has to be some hassle I swear.

Gotta do a good memory test on it still. Maybe one of the sticks or both are corrupting files? I dunno. Any advice would be great. I am super frustrated with the machine.

On my second copy of the game. Exchanged the first one because I thought it may have been faulty. My Red Alert 2 cd does not install either, and I know it is not bad due to previous installations on my other computer.

Also, my AMD 2600+ registers in windows as AMD 2000+ 1.54 ghz. I know it is normal for a processor to be shown as running at a lower speed than claimed by manufacturer. But why would windows be listing it as a 2000+? Unless that is just referring to the series? (Like 2000+ or 3000+?)

Worries me because the whole point of spending this much money on a new computer was to be able to run the new games like FarCry, BF1942, HL2, Doom 3, but I can't even install one game... Why would I want to go buy $80 worth of stuff I am not going to be able to install on my new setup.

You have a different CD rom drive you can try? Maybe your CD drive head is going out. On my laptop, esp with burnt CDs but also with commercial, if it runs for too long it heats up quite a bit and loses the ability to read until after it cools down. It often corrupts files I am transferring over, even if it doesn't crap out completely.

On my second copy of the game. Exchanged the first one because I thought it may have been faulty. My Red Alert 2 cd does not install either, and I know it is not bad due to previous installations on my other computer.

Also, my AMD 2600+ registers in windows as AMD 2000+ 1.54 ghz. I know it is normal for a processor to be shown as running at a lower speed than claimed by manufacturer. But why would windows be listing it as a 2000+? Unless that is just referring to the series? (Like 2000+ or 3000+?)

Worries me because the whole point of spending this much money on a new computer was to be able to run the new games like FarCry, BF1942, HL2, Doom 3, but I can't even install one game... Why would I want to go buy $80 worth of stuff I am not going to be able to install on my new setup.

well dude, Windows should register what you have. You might have to go to the bios and change something. Is your 2600+ a 333fsb? If so, You bios might have defaulted it to a 266fsb. Therefore decreasing your speed.

Also man, I would do a clean install of Windows. It takes about 20-30 minutes and will probably fix it. Im sure that is much less time than you have spent on trying to fix it. If the clean install doesnt fix it. Then I would defintely say you have a hardware problem? Are you the one that put pc2700 and pc2100 Ram together. alot of times different types of Ram doesnt work together.

Now that I think about it, if you have two different types of memory. Then I could see why your having problems. The mobo might default you to 266. Because PC2100=266fsb. Pc2700 = 333fsb.

It does sound like a memory problem if you have done a full isntall of windows.

(edited)

My computer is brand spanking new. I am talking since last friday night. I have Kingston ValueRam 512mb pc-3200 x 2. Not mixed ram. I ran a memtest program last night, all night, while doing a diskcheck, and 0 errors came through.

This is my processor. yes it is 333mhz fsb. I will see if I can't change that in bios and fix that problem.

This is my dvd-rom. Maybe that is what is causing my install issues? Bad thing about Toshiba is that they don't offer drivers beyond windows automatically installed ones. Could it be an error with windows drivers for the rom?

Any reason why I would be missing part of the admin tools in win xp home. Everything keeps telling me to check the control panel -> admin tools -> local security policies, but I do not have an option for local security policies.

The install on windows was fresh minus the drivers I had installed for the mobo, sound, usb, and video card.

I am puzzled. A few more things to try, but after that I don't know what I am going to do.

Could my BIOS having my ram or processor FSB speed set incorrectly cause any corruption?

Edited by General J