Routhers

rackish

I have a Linksys router, and I'm pretty sure it's broke. So I need a new one for cheap and saw this one: Cheap router I just need a link between 2 computers and an Xbox, and I know this is really cheap, but I can't afford a $50 1, anyone know if this is realible from the specs, I ain't too smart with this stuff (or anything). :)

If you have roughly two weeks to wait, RMA it. They never checked to see if any of my products were out of warranty, and I've RMAd years-old stuff, so old they've had to send me much newer models because they didn't have the old stuff lying around. It's cheap because you get a Linksys router for $5 shipping.

-----EDIT------

Linksys now has a cross-shipment option (after much begging, finally!) so you can have them ship the new router to you first, then you ship the other router back when you get the new one. The only issue is they put a hold on the amount of the router on your credit card until they get the dead one back. But it speeds things up a bit.

https://ssl.linksys.com/rma1.asp

I've never heard of the cheap router you linked, but I think I have heard of TrendWare...All I can tell you is what you already know, that they're not a big player in the router business.

Edited by appalachian_fox

(edited)

Thanks for the reply, I would like to return this, but it's about 2 years old, and I have NOTHING besides the router and the power supply, so I'll try this.

Yay, the lady said I could ship w/o a recipt :).

Edited by rackish

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I have my D-Link Di-604 router for sale. I only used it maybe a month at the most to route my Replay TV unit to my PC. I recently got a Wireless and have no use for it. I will sell it to you for 25 dollars and I will cover the shipping. It is a lot better than that piece of crap that you linked to.

Just passing on some info I have learned...

If your router doesn't power on it is probably the power supply. I have had bad experiences with Linksys Power Supplies. Linksys knows their power supplies are poor quality and they will send you a new one free of charge under warranty or for like $9 (ship included).

I have used this offer 3 times myself to order replacements for office networks I have setup for small businesses.

Here is the link.

https://ssl.linksys.com/rma1.asp

Yeah, their PSs are built from lower-quality components and they are more susceptible to power spikes. Surge protectors don't cover it: Their clamping voltages are usually in the 300 V range, by then the PS can be dangerously out of range for the component tolerances. I usually just let them ship me a whole new router tho ^_^ You can also substitute your own wall wart if you make sure you follow the power requirements.

Rack, did you cross-ship? Let me know how that goes. Linksys will take back just about anything of theirs and give you a new one. I haven't paid for a router in over four years now. I believe DLink is the same way, they don't care, their margin off of router sales is so small now anyway they'd rather make you happy so you'll buy their other products (network cards, etc.) which is where they make their real money.