D-Link or Linksys?

General J

Anyone have some personal experiences with either/both brands of routers? I was looking at the DI-604. What's the difference between This DI-604 from BestBuy, and the one that Newegg has? Just different casing design? Maybe the best buy one is the new case design?

I am also looking at This Linksys.

I know a few of you have the DI-604, and if I remember correctly they have an overheating problem. The router is going to be in an office that is 3 floors from the air conditioner, so it can get a little warm up here. Putting it in my room, where it is a bit cooler is also an option though.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I love the D-links but they are having heating issues Apparently and will reboot a lot.

Which one of the DI-604's do you all have? Could it be that the newer looking model on the Best Buy site is a "fixed" newer version with better cooling?

I really like the idea Linksys has going with the stackable routers. Pretty cool idea if you ask me. Dunno why you would really need to stack many 4-port routers, but cool idea at any rate. :P

So far we have overheating issues with the DI-604, and no complaints on the Linksys. I am leaning toward linksys here.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

replaced my Super G DI-524 router due to rebooting. Got super hot, almost scorching to the touch. Thought the router was bad, RMA"d and got a DI-624.

The DI-624 was fine first week then started having major issues as of yesterday with random rebooting. Seriously tinklees me off. Gets warm but not overly hot.

I set up a D-Link router for a friend, two years running now and once the heat issue was fixed (moved to a cooler location) it runs like a champ. Ocassional reboot needed, but rare. I've had another DLink that ran for a year flawlessly then died, but got it RMAd and it is, to my knowledge, still running (gave it to a friend a while back) and the RMA router has gotta be close to three years at this point.

I prefer the Linksys myself, but they seem to be just as stable. I set up a Linksys wireless network for a bunch of friends in a house, I have never made a single trip back to fix anything. Ran flawlessly for 1.5 years, they even had new people come in and hook up without issue. My newest Linksys ran for 3 months before getting toasted in a thunderstorm, their power supplies are cheap and subject to being "lightning rods", while the DLinks tend to stand electrical storms better. My new one has wireless and has been running for 2 months no problems.

For me, DLinks seem to have more heat issues and more frequent crashes, but they're not common if you keep them cool, while Linksys routers run flawlessly until they die and need to be RMAd, in all cases coincidental with an electrical storm. I think I've RMAd more Linksys machines, but I've also "supported" more.