Raid 0...HOAX!!!

Brillow_Head

If anyone has a subscription to Maximum PC, an article in the latest editions tested several games while in Raid 0 configuration to determine if it is worth the hype.

What they found shocked me...for games like Doom3 and BF:V the load times were exactly the same if not longer for Raid 0 config vs. single a IDE drive. I wish I had the actual article with me (I read it at a Barnes & Noble last weekend). They said they tried every customization and configuration for the serial drives and didn't see a marked improvement above the IDE drive.

They go on to mention that Raid 0 would not prove as important for games (such as myself) where most of the demand is on the CPU and GPU instead of loading and offloading stuff from the HD. Where as peeps who do alot of video editing or rendering would see a huge benifit from the SATA configuration due to the amount of information being passed from the HD to RAM.

So, I thin I'm just going to get one 80 GB SATA drive and same myself 65 bones to spend on HL2 baby!

(Question: I wonder if they didn't have the cluster size for the Raid 0 drives set too low or too high...hummm?)

yea, its worth it for server type things, just not gaming. My pc is only used for gaming and surfing the net so its a waste for me and most here.

You still have to remember that Raid can crash and burn hard, and loose all the data on the 2 drives. A third drive for back-ups on a server is critical to have.

Edited by All Kill3r

Mabey, raid is useful mainly for 3 purposes; multiple simultaneous read and writes to the hard drives, drive spanning and data redundancy. My co-worker has streamed 21 audio tracks onto a single EIDE drive without data loss.

I would rather have more RAM, Faster processor, maybe dual processors, Faster Video card, better motherboard, DVD Burner, Better sound card, better cooling, bigger power supply, nicer case, better mouse, bigger monitor, more speakers than to have any kind of RAID.

If I did have RAID it wouldnt just be RAID 0 either.

Point being RAID would be the final step in having an ultimate setup for me, and it would be a RAID setup that consists of more than just 2 drives(which is just asking for trouble). RAID 5 all the way. RAID is gonna net lil' performance in a normal desktop environment. If you're going for an entry level server box then RAID is gonna be standard fair.

yea if your a normal comp user I would go with a single drive. But of course being a computer science major, I would love to have a dual Opteron system with 3 Gigs of ram, raid 0 raptors, as well as dual nvidia 6800's.

What couldnt I do? hmm..acctually alot. ^_^

(edited)

I just priced out a 1TB array.... sigh $630 for the drives (Raid 5) plus $210 for the controller. Of course the controller is PCI-X so I'd need a workstation class MB.

Edited by Penty