From 9600pro to where?

Fatty

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

You want to go either x800 or 6800 or better. Bean and AK are using the X800 Pro's and doing just fine. There was another in there with a 6800 GT and playing fine.

The x800 series of cards play best, unfortunately there is no x700 available in AGP yet or I would say grab that. Cost you are looking at is around 300 if you want something to last a while. You would want to get a 6800 GT or x800 Pro or better for it to be worth your time/money over all

You tell me.

My fps is now average.  50-70 range at 1024, with med to high settings...no orthoscopic (joke) filtering on...

You've prolly listed them before, but can we have a detailed list of your parts you have now?

Something like this.

[AMD Athlon XP 3000+@2.25GHz]-[ABIT NF7-S]-[1024MB Crucial PC3200]-[Radeon 9800XT]-[120GB Hitachi 180GXP w/8MB cache HD]

I agree that it's gonna cost about 400 bucks to get a noticable jump in performance, but lets make sure you have no bottlenecks.

And if you are gonna be mainly playing source based games im gonna have to tell you to stick with ATI. Seems they are really tight with Valve.

I've considered going up from my 9500 pro but my MB only supports 4x AGP. Would it be that much worth it to get an 8x card & put it in a 4x slot? Course I don't want to spend 300 on a new card so I'm looking toward the 9800...just can't decide.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

There is a difference between 4x and 8x but small on older games. ON these new games there will be a difference since the bandwidth being used is massive.

I've considered going up from my 9500 pro but my MB only supports 4x AGP.  Would it be that much worth it to get an 8x card & put it in a 4x slot?  Course I don't want to spend 300 on a new card so I'm looking toward the 9800...just can't decide.

Buy Source, see if you think it runs acceptably, then decide if you want to upgrade. Going from a 9500 will cost you $300+ unless they come out with the 6600GT/x700XT sometime soon.

In any event, I would wait until the final AGP pricing comes available for the 6600GT and the x700XT/Pros before upgrading.

or snap a deal on a x800 for 330 and sell your current card and walk away with a top of the line card for sub 300 now. Or wait a year and get it for sub 300.

remember how 9800pros were 300 for the longest time, then inched down to 200. Thats whats going on now, these new cards aren't going to be cheap soon, if you wait till they fall in price so much you will be buying a card that you could have now, for the same price. AND missed out on all the gaming time on it.

Fall refresh is soon with new stuff coming, but nothing big. Prices aren't going anywhere soon is what im saying here.

They key to keeping it cheap is selling your old hardware and getting new before it's so obselete you can't sell it.

Edited by All Kill3r

or snap a deal on a x800 for 330 and sell your current card and walk away with a top of the line card for sub 300 now. Or wait a year and get it for sub 300.

remember how 9800pros were 300 for the longest time, then inched down to 200. Thats whats going on now, these new cards aren't going to be cheap soon, if you wait till they fall in price so much you will be buying a card that you could have now, for the same price. AND missed out on all the gaming time on it.

Fall refresh is soon with new stuff coming, but nothing big. Prices aren't going anywhere soon is what im saying here.

They key to keeping it cheap is selling your old hardware and getting new before it's so obselete you can't sell it.

But the x700 and 6600's will retail for anywhere between 150-200 bucks. From the benchmarks i've seen, they look great. Blows away 9800 pros.

Here are the PCI-X prices now.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductRes...00&InnerCata=48

And lastly, we have plenty of tech heads in here. But I'm not a tech head. I've never ever needed to get the best cpu, ram, vid card, etc. I have a set price range I follow and it has worked for a decade. I upgrade once every 2-3 years and I've always played what I wanted to play. Here are my rules:

- Never spend more than $200 for a vid card

- Never spend less than $125 for a vid card

- Never spend more than $200 on a cpu

- Never get the highest performance ram. They are double the cost and ram type changes every 6-12 months

- Always have double the minimum requirements for RAM.

It's worked for me. Maybe it will work for you. I guess it depends on your priorities.

Edited by DJ Premier