dead mb

auggybendoggy

Guys,

I received a old motherboard pc. It's a athlon (800mhz) socket asus mb. It has 3 ram slots (128, 128, 128) all filled up.

a friend wanted a new hd put in. When I brought it home I plugged it in and it was fine. I was going to go to the Asus mb manual sight to d/l the manual when outta nowhere the machine lit up....started winning real fast then popped real loud and smoke came outta the p/s.

I realize the powersupply blew up but upon changing the powersupply the whole comp wont light up. The asus has a small green led to show power is being supplied to the mb. So I know the powersupply 550w is working. But when I hit the switch nothing comes on.

I have 3 things in mind

1) motherboard was fried

2) cpu was fried.

3) ram was fried.

with combinations being also possible.

Anyone? Anyone?

Auggy

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

This is why in the past I have encouraged people to NOT use generic junk PSU's. I've seen it happen too many times.

Slaphappy just put a unit together for somebody, ordered a case and a PSU. The case ended up coming with a junk PSU so he wired it in because it was there, was goign to put the other one aside as a spare. Well, it powered up a bunch of times, worked fine. I was there when he set it up at its final destination (on a very dirty power source) and I must say, the light show was fantastic. The smell was bad, though. Fortunately it only fried the PS, all of the components were fine. We replaced the power cord, too, I would recommend that if its been through a PS fry.

But man, what a light show. ^_^