ATI Radeon X800

Nubus

I been thinking of upgrading my video card and am willing to spend some money within the 4 to 5 hundered range. Right now I run the ati radeon 8500 128mb and would like to stay with ati. So I went to newegg lastnight to look at the price of a x800 and this is where I got confused (not much of a pc builder), First my pc consists of:

XP Professional (service pack 2) OS

Gigabyte Pentium 4 Titan Series GA-8PE800 motherboard

Intel Pentium 2.4 processor

1.00 GB Ram

I see my motherboard agp slot only supports 4x (would like to get card that supporst 4x/8x) and have no idea if it supports this PCI-Express x16 but always thought agp was faster. I would also like the card to come with the x800 475mhz and 256mb GDDR3/900mhz and not the 450mhz x2. The card is mainly going to be used for gaming, the tv jacks, vcr jacks and what not are useless to me, so should I go with the X800 PRO or XT? I also see all these cards being made by Sapphire,Info-Tek, Asus, Powercolor, MSI and Gigabyte. Which one is better? I am hoping someone here can help me out, I just want a good card for gaming purpose and the best deal I can get. I wouldnt mind buying one that came with some games but a barebones one would work also.

The other question I got is, when I bought my PC I didnt buy a high dollar case and am wondering if I should by a new power supply for it. Most likely the one I got is only 250 or 300 watts. If so what would you recommend on power supply?

your board doesn't have PCI-E. The difference btw PCI-E and AGP is mainly bandwidth.

The brand doesn't matter a lot, they all have gdd3.

I don't know of any sales on x800pro's atm but that's what i'd go for.

I would definately upgrade the PSU. A Fortron 350w is cheap and very reliable. If you wanna put more into one go Antec TruPower series. I use a Tru480 from Antec and highly recommend them.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Wait a few more weeks. New products from ATI are on the way. R480. Plus availability is bad so the prices are really high. You can always check on google's froogle though.

Well now that I have looked more closely at the newegg site, some of them cards are refirberished. So that makes since why they are so many price difference. I see that newegg is the same price as bestbuy on the same card but from reading the comments I think newegg ships faster. Anyway I think I will hold out till around christmas and see if any deals pop up.

Where are you watching to find these good deals on video cards? I go to a couple 'deal' sites but there has been little activity for video cards lately.

I am waiting for a great deal in the 200 - 250 range.

Guest Diablo
Guest Diablo
Guest Diablo
Guests

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE ATI CARD GO WITH THE NVIDIA 6800 GT AND OVERCLOCK TO REACH ULTRA SPECS AND SAVE 100 DOLLARS

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

If you want the absolutely best card for HL2, then the Radeon x800 XT PE is what you want.