My Full Upgrade

TeK

TeK
(edited)

Got everything instealled. Tommorrow I'm installing software. yes I know its a bit messy but thats what happens when you have a small case and a lot of hardware(Something I sacrificed so I can fit it in my desk). I'm going to try and push the wires back a bit and tie em together.

Edit out.

Edited by TeK

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TeK

So of course installing the hardware would be a breeze but you can never build a computer without running into problems.

We tried partitioning one of the 160 gig hard drives(It actually only recognizes about 130 gigs of data so Its a surprising 30 gig's lost, both hard drives were the same, if this is wrong any thoughts?) We tried a full format and when it got to the end we got an error saying it can't be partitioned. Tried a quick format same thing. Tried a full format on the other hard drive and we got the same problem. So he reset all the IDE cables, now the computer won't recognize any of the IDE drives(CD drive as well as the other 3 Hard drives) I was hoping to try out my new video card tonight also ;_;

Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't know why I'm losing 30 gigs of space with a 160 gig hard drive but thats what its being recognized as, thinking of RMAing it with WD. I hope I don't lose any data on my 120 gig or else I'll really be screwed.

TeK

I'll try posting this here for killer and anyone else who wants to give some insight. I tried sending a PM to dweezil and Zerodamage but don't know if it went through. Sorry if I sent it to you guys multiple times ;(

Well everything on the hardware side installed fine. We got it to recognize 3 out of the 4 IDE things. 1 of the 160 gig HD's, the DVD-r, and my old slave 120 gig Hard drive.

When we try and partition the machine, we do a full format and when it gets to 100% it says the disk cannot be formatted. Disk may be damaged. We have tried switching IDE slots, primary and master, and even disconnecting the the other 2 hard drives leaving the cd drive and primary 160 up.

Even after trying a quick format we still get the same problem. He thinks its the mobo, IDE Cable, or even Hard drive. He doesn't THINK its the hard drive or IDE cable but one can never know. He spoke to a friend and the guy thinks its not even the mobo either.

His friend mentioned AMD 64 processors having problems installing windows. Do you have any thoughts or insights on this on anything we can possibly do so I can get this machine up and running.

TeK

We've trie both of the 160 (Brand New) gig hard drives and both give us the same problem. Says it cannot format the partition and saying the disk might be bad(Don't understand how 2 brand new hard drives can give us the same problems). We can't even format it quick or anything so we can't even get windows on the machine which is actually our goal now aside from the partitioning.

TeK

Can't even get windows installed :/ Were going to try one of my 13 gig old hard drives and install windows to see if we can isolate the problem being the hard drive.

I dont feel like reading through all this stuff, but you said you have a 160 drive and cant get windows Cd to find a partition, Im betting its your mobo wont support large HD's, update your mobo's bios.

*bling bling*

I'm using the MSI KN8 Neo2 Platnium board. I figured that SP needs to be installed to recognize the bigger hard drives. I can't even get windows installed on the machine, can't partition it, can't quick or full format the full thing so I can't even get windows on to install SP.

I'll hopefully try and update the bios on the MOBO before trying to install windows. We are really at a loss for suggestions.

windows without SP2 wont recognize anything over 160 I think or maybe 160 and above, so if your trying to install from a regular windows disc, I doubt it will work. If I was you....

I would test install to a smaller drive.

I would try partitioning the 160 into several different partitions and try that.

once you have windows running on a small drive, pop in your 160, partition it using your favorite program and then reinstall windows onto one of those partitions.

Edited by NOFX

Well we've raised the white flag.

Every possible thing we have tried and we still can't get windows to install on the friggin thing. I'll list what we tried

Installing normally partition - nothing, Install on the other drive - nothing, Have my old 13 gig HD trying to install - nothing, put one of the 160's in his rig and partitioned it, put it back into our computer windows copied the files then would go on endless rebooting and wouldn't install.

Tried every possible thing and nothing. I DON"T think 2 hard drives are bad, don't think 3 IDE cables are bad. Our last solution is RMAing the board with Newegg. Has anyone ever done this procedure before?

Looks like I also have to RMA the chip. As I was taking everything out of the system, the chip had a tough time coming out(I put some arctic 5 on it for a better heat thing). Mucho problems taking it out and noticed some of the pins were bent. Well looks like I have to wait even longer for this thing to be up and running(Past the release date of HL2 :( ), tempted to give it to a pro so I don't mess up again and can actually have the thing working.

So I got credited for the MSI board. I didn't think I was but I did so I'm in the process of waiting for my new one. Seems I'm going to go back with ASUS(Whats in my system now and have never had problems).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-131-510&depa=1

Thats it, Its VIA chipset but have done a lot of research and people seem to stand-by this board. Some have even claimed it outperforms the MSI when it came to 3dMark05 scores(A guy had the same rig in an MSI setup and Asus and the Asus almost scored 1000 points higher).

Chip should be processed for a repair by tommorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully I'll have the thing running Friday :crosses fingers:.

Its above here in this post man. Post #14 has what I bought with prices. Price of the vid card went WAY up(About 50 bucks). Price of the chip came down. Just read through the beginning parts as the end is more my problems with the thing.

I'm just using regular XP Pro. Pointless to use 64-bit now IMO.

I haven't even built the stupid thing yet. Second Mobo I ordered had a dead AGP slot. I kind of give up on the thing and just want to throw it out the window ;_;. After waiting a month to have a new machine I can't even have it yet after getting 2 busted mobo's