oh crap, my BIOS problem

spiralstairs

okay, i tried to update my BIOS today, i went through everything, it said, BIOS upgrade complete, restart your computer now

so i restarted and now my computer wont boot up.

it says it cannot find a hard drive or something or other.

o man...i had to be tryin to get all fancy updatin my BIOS when i dont know what the hell im doin...

and WoW comes out tomorrow...what awful timing.

so what do i do????

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Unplug it and then pop out the battery. Give it 20 mins, put battery back in, plug cord back in and go. That should fix it for you. (Rese the cmos basically)

Edited by zerodamage .gc

lemme elaborate a bit:

i turn my computer on, and it says windows setup and it loads a buncha stuff.

Then it comes to a screen that says "Welcome to Setup". It says this setup program prepares windows XP to run on your computer.

*To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER

*To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

I put in my Windows CD, and press enter. Then t says

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3. Then it just restars again.

:bang: i wish i knew what i was doing.

EDIT: I will try that ZD, thanks

Edited by spiralstairs

Your BIOS battery is a small metal disk on the motherboard. It looks like an oversized watch battery. You should be able to use something like a flathead screwdriver to help prop it out of there.

Edited by D_o_D

well i opened up my computer, got out my mobo manual and i just couldnt seem to find what i needed to take out. the manual says to take out the jumper, put it in a different slot, then take it out and it will clear the cmos. i didnt wanna risk it though since i wasnt sure what the jumper exactly was.

wish i had some computer-inclined friends who i could call to fix this for me in a jiffy.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
well i opened up my computer, got out my mobo manual and i just couldnt seem to find what i needed to take out.  the manual says to take out the jumper, put it in a different slot, then take it out and it will clear the cmos. i didnt wanna risk it though since i wasnt sure what the jumper exactly was. 

wish i had some computer-inclined friends who i could call to fix this for me in a jiffy.

Call me in about an hour and I willl help you out. I will pm you my phone.

hey, zd thanks for the generous offer!

but i just called up a friend who called a friend who builds computers all the time and hes gonna come over later tonight and help me out. im not even sure you could help a comp. nub like me over the phone. i literally know nothin bout the inner workings of computers.

thanks again though! :D

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
im not even sure you could help a comp. nub like me over the phone.

Oh if I can talk to complete morons on the phone and tell them tonot put the mouse on the actual monitor when I tell them to click on something, then I can do this for you. But it is easier to have someone come over and do it. Best of luck.