A Request for Stricter Admins

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

The ONLY time an admin would not do something is if they are on the other team, alive and the curser was dead and had no way of seeing it. It is then your responsibility to point this out to the admins on the other team so we may handle it. We can only see so much.

Also, a lot of the times, a warning about the curse is done over mic. So you may see someone on the same team as an admin cus but not hear the Admin ask the person to please keep it clean.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

I think the admins are doin just dandy

Lots of these cats join'n arent used to the no swearin policy, I know before i came to play on this serv over a year ago, i was the king of swearing...

Dont think so? I will send u old screen shots... lol

Consider'n all the helpful admin tools arent finished yet, the admins are doin an uber good job

The admins gotta be gettin pretty tired of banning by now, i know i would be

Plus you gotta cut 'em a little slack, they are just trying to play and enjoy the game as everyone else is, they are not full time baby sitters, thats why if you see something and an admin is still alive playing and your not, politely ask them to observe the rules, they cant catch everything if the game is intense like it usually is. But if they are dead observing and do nothing, then there is a problem, but i rarely see that.

They do a very good job in my opinion.

Other than shut the server down during those times or recruit admins to cover those times, there seems to be nothing that can be done. At least until more tools are available to automate certain aspects of administrating. The first thing to do would be to monitor more closely to determine if there is a real problem, or was this one guy who had a problem one time? I play random hours here and there and for the most part I dont see a need to worry about it much, especially if regulars start to help more with "polite" warnings.

Thats just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

(edited)

After more time spent in the server, and further observation of the actions that are occurring. I would like to slightly alter my initial post.

I still believe, that stricter admin is needed. I no longer believe that the majority of offenses, go unnoticed.

My reasoning for this is the following. From what I have observed, obviously there are times when no admins are present, but that is NOT what I'm talking about here. I full well understand that nothing can be done during those times and personally simply choose not to play unless I see an admin already on server. What makes me believe that stricter adminning is needed is this. Right now, there are more players that curse and TK than there are old regulars who know better. Consequently, in a server of 24 people, I'm doing good if I see about 7 total that I know, or know to be regulars. That leaves 17 people that are potentially swearing, TA/TKing, etc. Now OBVIOUSLY, for an admin who simply wants to enjoy his game just like everyone else, that is WAY too many people to be babysitting. There's no possible way he can keep track of each and every one of them and who did what. It's simply not feasible.

So Fatty told us that current policy is to warn once and then let the player "ban themselves." This is where the problem lies. There are TOO MANY offenders for the admins to remember whether they warned em once, twice, or not at all. Correct me on this if I'm mistaken. So really, the only people that get removed are the ones that are SO blatant as to go after the admin himself or just completely turn the air blue for all to see.

So, all of that said, my suggestion is this. As I'm sure MrX can tell you, the Law does not require you to know the law for you to be subject to it. Likewise, if a person does not take the time to read the join message of the server of have the common sense to take a lesson from what happens to those around him, then he should not be permitted the graciousness of a warning. Yes, I am talking extreme no-warning, no nada, instant kicks or bans. "I didn't read the rules" is NOT an excuse. Obviously, there are a few people that just flat out slip up.. These are the guys that have been playing for 3 hours straight, haven't done anything bad, no TA's nada, everyone knows they're a team player, and they slip. Big deal, we all move on. But for the nubs that join displaying a generally rotten attitude and compound their mistakes with a violation of server rules, I honestly advocate that they be given no warning at all, and that they are simply removed. This removes the hassle of trying to remember who did what from the admin, and solves the problem for the rest of the players who simply want to enjoy their game free of TKers and cursing.

I have seen instances where someone swore and was warned and immediately after that warning went out, someone else swore, causing more console warning spam. I'm not faulting the admins for this but comon. The guy that reads a warning like that and swears anyway is a complete idiot and in desperate need of a kick at the minimum.

Once again, I still believe that GC is the best place you can possibly play on the internet, but I am still amazed every time I get on at that amount of swearing that goes on in the direct presence of admins. I'm not faulting the admins, I'm faulting the people on the server who have no more common decency than that. "Profanity is the last resort of a defeated intellect." This statement is nowhere more true than it is in counter-strike and I'll confess the idiot population is getting to me. Once again, this is NOT an attack on GC, its members, or its adminning staff. This is simply a suggestion for those in power to clean out those that would detract from the gaming experience for others.

And for those that don't like the consequences of their actions or want to plead ignorance, let them do it in the "Got Banned?" forums. =P

I apologize if this seems extreme, but until there are more regs than nubs on the server or until the moron population of the CS community decreases (translated Temperature of Hell), then I really feel that harsh, unforgiving adminning is the only way to keep the server "clean" for those who enjoy that atmosphere, as I believe the GC staff all do.

-Nyx

Edited by NyxErinyes

So Fatty told us that current policy is to warn once and then let the player "ban themselves." This is where the problem lies. There are TOO MANY offenders for the admins to remember whether they warned em once, twice, or not at all. Correct me on this if I'm mistaken.

I stopped reading there. You're mistaken. I have absolutely NO problem keeping track of who's doing what in the server.

My suggestion: enjoy yourself a little more rather than playing nun.

Maybe you should come back when SourceMod is released and we have a swear filter that slaps people around and filters their words. The point is, and I believe it was made: admins like to play too. The way you describe it, you want 2 or 3 GC admins to personally sit and watch while you play and execute people when they turn their head. No deal there, bro. You're just not getting it: the admins that you want would spend their entire time babysitting instead of playing. I think they're doing fine and should stay the course.

(edited)

I apologize for upsetting you Fatty... I will only say that I was not stating I believed the admins incompetent or incapable of remembering. I was merely suggesting a method that would give them less time warning/remembering/etc and more time just playing their own game. If the problem isn't there, they don't have to deal with it. I'm not entirely sure why or how I came across as demanding babysitters or executioners. I apologize for conveying this message.

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps I should just put down CS until some sort of automated moderation comes out because frankly seeing curses cross my screen no less than once every 2-5 minutes is irritating to me and I do not believe it is playing the nun. I believe it is being bothered by something that I have a moral obligation to be bothered by. But I won't get into that. I enjoy .GC because by and large its the best server on the net and helps remove that. But such is counter-strike. No other game that I have ever played has had this problem to the magnitude that CS does and perhaps I should simply return to CS retirement until such time as that is taken care of automatically.

Once again, you have my apologies for any offense. At this point, I think I'll remain silent on matters of policy and leave you to manage your server as you see fit... That is of course your perogative and right... I was merely offering my own input. I would like to note that I do not believe the admins are doing a bad job, only there this is room for improvement. Apparently it has come across as an offense and I apologize. Feel free to close this thread.

-Nyx

Edited by NyxErinyes

1) I'm not upset, I just don't know how to help you understand something that's very simple: what you want isn't possible without asking our admins to do nothing but swing the whip. Have you ever had to admin a server? The methods you put into a little package called "pure server" can't be done right now with only rcon, the base ability to control a server. You just don't understand the magnitude of what you're asking, that's all.

BTW, search for the forgiveness and the willingness to see people have a second chance somewhere in your beliefs. It's almosts as easy as seeing the difference between the Old and New Testaments. The former is all about rules, judgement, and paying the price.... while the latter is focused on the belief that everyone can play....they just have to accept the truth of the matter.

2) Try HL2DM, people don't have time to talk, too fast paced.

(edited)

I have indeed run a server. =) In my first two years of college, I maintained a CS server on the university network with nearly identical rules to those of GC. I was the only active admin on this server and it was more or less full from the hours of approximately 11am (comon college kids dont get up before then) until at least 6-7pm (i didnt play much on it after that so I didn't see.)

Once again, I'm not talking about hours when admins aren't there. And honestly, I kicked/banned people by the dozens and didn't really find it detracting from my game... However I can understand if it is bothersome to others. Also admittedly, I was using an older version of AdminMOD, not pure rcon. I've used RCON in a pinch before when my AdminMOD was still under construction (it took me a long time to learn to set it up properly.) In any case, I do understand what is involved in maintaining and adminning a server. I also understand that RCON by itself is not capable of the full-scope admin that we are used to and prefer.

Basically, what I was suggesting, I do not believe was so great in scope at all. I wasn't suggesting that people be magically prevented from violating server rules (such as our filter of the past), simply that they experience the same annoyance that they present to the rest of us. A simple kick generally suffices. If pulling up the status list and kicking a player for repeat violations proves too tedious and time consuming, I understand.

Once again however, I understand that admins want to simply play their game, and I would not fault them for that. The server is in your capable hands and you all do an excellent job. I mean no disrespect at all.

Perhaps we just have different ideas of what constitutes a violation or meritous of a kick. Perhaps the tediousness of administration has been increased since last I used it. In any case, I withdraw my arguement. I've no desire to debate further. Instead I will just enjoy my game as best I can. I have to admit that the event that sparked this initial thread was an occurence where an admin just refused to do anything at all about a problem, even when pointed out by other players. In the future I will simply bring up such isolated incidents to Fatty. Otherwise, I'll just focus on playing my game with likeminded players who just want to enjoy the game. =)

C'yall in server,

-Nyx

PS - oh yeah lol as for HLDM, uhm, lol I was never a Quake/HLDM fan, I'll stick to a little more strategy but thanks for the invite! Maybe I'll pop on just for a laugh some time.

PPS- Your references to scripture are correct. But for those who fail to repent, there is no forgiveness.

Luke 13:3 - "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. "

Edited by NyxErinyes

But you have to give them a chance to repent, instead of condemning them immediately. It works, I have pasted lots of proof of it in our private forums, ask your Dad.

Anyways...

In the future I will simply bring up such isolated incidents to Fatty.

Great. Let's deal with the incidents specifically. Talking about everything and nothing at the same time gets us nowhere.

But you have to give them a chance to repent, instead of condemning them immediately.  It works, I have pasted lots of proof of it in our private forums, ask your Dad.

Well while I did mention it earlier, I'm not opposed to warnings, just find them replacing action many times. But anyway moving on.

Anyways...

Great.  Let's deal with the incidents specifically.  Talking about everything and nothing at the same time gets us nowhere.

/agreed