God's Screwy Plan

This week a friend and fellow classmate of mine passed away. She was only 17. I was going to post on this part of the board for your prayers for her when she was in a coma, but alas, it was too late. They're not sure what exactly killed her. Supposedly she had an enlarged heart, and that somehow caused damage to her brain. They do know this was an extremely rare disease.

At the funeral, the rabbi told us of how a week before she went into a coma, she was in the car with her mom.

There was a commercial on the air, talking about donating organs. She exclaimed, "People are so selfish! Why do you need your organs when your dead?"

This was the first time she ever expressed this sentiment to her mother on this subject.

The rabbi went on to tell of how she had an extremely rare blood type, and now, because of her, there is a man in San Francisco who has a new liver. There is an old woman in upstate New York who will use her kidney. And I believe there are two others, I dont remember the specifics of each case, but I do know there are a total of 4 people who can now live because of my friends death.

A coincidence, or an act of god? We all prayed for a miracle and it didnt come. Though at a closer look it seems it actually may have. Not for me and my grade nor her parents, but for the families of these 4 other people who now have new hope in their lives and the fact that we all know even in her death she is helping others.

Spiral, man, our prayers go out to you. It's hard losing a friend in high school, and I only wish you the best now. I'll offer up other people for them, if we as a community can do anything to help let us know. I am glad to hear that others will live longer and better lives, because it's not only being alive that counts but your quality of life.

I wish I could tell you that God's plan made sense to us, but unfortunately, God being who He is, He's not responsible to us so His plans don't have to make sense in our limited minds. The only way is to just trust that, even though bad things happen, God can make lemonade out of lemons.

Spiral,

I've been so wrapped up in my own problems that I sometimes forget there are others who need support.

I can't empathize with you because I've never lost a close friend, but I certainly sympathize. I know you are hurting.

I'll pray for you and the families.

I can imagine the conflicting feelings that you and the families must feel. The good that was created from all of this provides some comfort, but not complete comfort. Most of the time, it does not overpower the bad feelings.

That's why I post here and on our daughters website. It's pure hell watching a child suffer, but the good that comes from telling people about it provides some comfort. Long story short, it made a few people appreciate how precious life really is and that's important.

In your case, that lesson was learned in a brutally honest way. I know the recipients of the organs will appreciate life in a new way...my hope is that others read your story and get something from it. All life is precious.

I think you hit it on the head when you said you looked a little closer and realized that maybe God's grace was given, just not in the way you wanted it to be.

You are a strong man for being able to put your emotions aside for a bit, REALLY look at the good that happened, and recognize it.

PM me if you're hurting and feel like chatting. All I've done for 6 weeks is hurt. It does help to get it off your chest.

Hang in there,

MrDuke