Computer Running Unbearably Slow

spiralstairs

Okay, so I hooked up my old rig to transfer all of my music onto CDs from there (i lost my CD book, good thing i backed my songs up :) )

But the thing is that this computer just crawls along even when doing such a simple task as opening a folder.

I'm running XP with Service Pack 2.

1.29 ghz,

256 MB ram

Geforce Ultra 2 or something, not that grphx card matters here.

I uninstalled a whole load of crap, defragged my harddrive, ran anti-spyware software (which rid a TON of spyware and crap i had on here, and improved performance a bit), did a virus scan, the works.

So whats wrong with my computer? Is opening a folder in XP so demanding on my rig? Why is opening internet explorer taking me about a minute?

thanks in advance, since i know ill recieve a helping hand from one of the in-house GC computer experts.

Sounds like you still may have some lurking spyware, I use a combo of three programs, AVG, Spy-Bot S&D, AdAware, usually takes care of it. Check your processes that are running, go to www.answersthatwork.com to check anything you don't recognize to see if it could be spyware.

Also, 256mb of ram is awfully light for XP, could be part of it.

Hope this helps.

I have a laptop running on 92mb for Windows XP... and it runs just fine. Now anyway, how old is the computer? It might be something with the hard drive itself. Or spyware. I had an older hard drive that would lose its functionability (if that's a word). I'd format it, put on a fresh copy of windows, then just have it like that. Turn it on a month later and bam it would be as slow as a sloth. It could be the hard drive. It could be the spyware. I doubt it's the ram. It could be both the hard drive and the spyware. Close down any and all processes that are being used by your current user name, except explorer.exe... See if it goes faster. If not, you might be in for a fun time.

Sounds like you still may have some lurking spyware, I use a combo of three programs, AVG, Spy-Bot S&D, AdAware, usually takes care of it. Check your processes that are running, go to www.answersthatwork.com to check anything you don't recognize to see if it could be spyware.

Also, 256mb of ram is awfully light for XP, could be part of it.

Hope this helps.

!!!

I just was going through my processes and checking that website and it turns out I've got this running: rundll32.exe, which according to that website is a sign that

"You have one of the W32.Miroot.Worm / W32/Legemer.Worm / W32.HLLW.Sanker viruses (or another virus)."

I just ran a virus scan too and it didn't pick this up. guess ill try again.

!!!

I just was going through my processes and checking that website and it turns out I've got this running:  rundll32.exe, which according to that website is a sign that

"You have one of the  W32.Miroot.Worm / W32/Legemer.Worm / W32.HLLW.Sanker  viruses (or another virus)."

I just ran a virus scan too and it didn't pick this up.  guess ill try again.

Not always a virus it does serve legit purposes too

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/rundll32/

back up all your stuff on the other comp and put on a fresh copy of windows, that will be the easiest way to assure that you will have no virus installed and that your computer will be running at top notch....

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

First you follow the steps I put out in the above thread. If that doesn't work, then do a fresh install. Onl do a fresh install if nothing else works.