overclocking

whats up guys? i overclocked my pc but my friend just told me how to do it over the phone... not really a good idea. it worked well but when i wasnt even doing anythign on the computer i smelled an electrical burn when my monitor went out of focus. i reset my bios and everything is alright, no problems. i lost about 40 fps and its almost impossible to play without overclocking.

so my question is. i need some good reading on overclocking.

mobo: asus a7n8x-x

ram: kingston 512 DIMM, 400 bus clock rate [(3-3-3) <= dont know what that is]

my processor: im not exactly sure its an AMD barton 2500 or 2800.

graphics card: radeon 7500 series

when i overclocked the processor and memory, it was fine. im not really looking to overclock my agp card. Thanks for the help, if anyone can give me any. peace.

I've got an AMD Barton 2500+ OC'd to 3200+ with no problems. I've got a top fan and a side fan. And of course the heatsink fan. It idles about 36 c. So it's running at 2.21.

Look at this site for help in overclocking.

amd

(edited)
i bought a mobile barton 2500+ for my parents PC.  put it in, cranked it up to 2300mhz easy.  i havent even tried going any further.  they are great chips i would highly recommend them for mid-line PCs.

True. I have one in a shuttle pc that hits 2.5GHz stable at like 1.65 volts or something silly like that. I haven't messed with it in awhile so I can't remember the exact numbers. Great processor though. For 50 dollars more though you can get a 939 pin athlon 64 winchester 3000+ processor. So the mobiles aren't the deal that they originally were.

Edited by Birdman

so my question is. i need some good reading on overclocking.

mobo: asus a7n8x-x

ram: kingston 512 DIMM, 400 bus clock rate [(3-3-3) <= dont know what that is]

my processor: im not exactly sure its an AMD barton 2500 or 2800.

graphics card: radeon 7500 series

when i overclocked the processor and memory, it was fine. im not really looking to overclock my agp card.  Thanks for the help, if anyone can give me any.  peace.

well dude, your machine can push a decent video card, I do not see how Overclocking can help much with that video card. Get a new card, even like a 9600 xt or something and you will notice a huge difference, that video card is oooolllldd.

agreed Nofx, dont worry about your cpu or anything else beside's that video card. Your a gamer correct ? What make's game's play good ? A good video card.

and i also agree that no way in a frozen over hell did you get an extra 40fps from overclocking that systems. It's just not possible unless you were in like some obscurely small resolution.