Any Engineers in the house?

Acid-Flux

Just sugestions regarding the test.

Ie. good study guides

and also, was it difficult? or was it just basic stuff you should know (pertaining to your field of course)

I am thinking about taking that and also joinging the the National Society of Professional Engineers, might look good on my resume.

Hmmm...well, we were forced to take it and didn't graduate unless we passed. I guess part of the accredidation for a College of Engineering is % passing the FE. So we were also forced to take a 2 hr credit course for review. The book we mostly used was "Fundamentals of Engineering Review" by Potter, Great Lakes Press. LOL, its proping up my 15" 'monitor right now. As far as how hard is it....I didn't think it was that hard. You need a 70 to pass and I got an 81. I had a buddy that was top of our class, studied his butt off and got an 83, I partied and only studied based on the course we were made to take. You are also given a booklet of formulas. Get you hands on that, you can probably pick one up at your school book store or something, and become familiar with where certain topics are in that book. I was told the same thing beforehand, and by far the most time was searching for the right formula. Other than that, my impression was, if you can read word problems well enough to figure out your knowns and unknowns, can find the appropriate formula either by memory or in that book, and know how to plug things in equations you won't have any problems. I can't really tell you what was and was not on the test, its part of engineering code of ethics actually.....PEs can't tell you what's on the P.E. either....I've asked as I will be taking it in a year or two. I would definately go through that review book and brush up on some fundamental stuff, but I wouldn't worry myself into a craze over it.

I'm an EE, but unlike Bub, we had to take it to graduate, but we did not have to pass.

My roommate picked up a "gauranteed to pass the FE or your money back" study guide (the thing is a phone book)...and passed with a better score than me...I focused too much on my own profession and it hurt me.

If your class offers study nights or classes...ATTEND THEM!!!! nothing is worse then sitting down to do a problem and you cant even remember the fundamentals of the subject...those classes and study sessions will re-introduce you to them and help the forumulas in the equation book you get make more sense. (We have a tendancy to brain dump upon end of semester).

Also, and this is a big one.....get an approved calculator now and learn to use it!!! That is one of the biggest timekillers is figuring out how to punch in an equation, I know, I used a TI-89 for 5 years and now I was down to a dinky pocket calculator...spent a good portion of my time trying to figure out where the pi button was. :)

I'm an Electrical Engineer since 1975. I am a registered EIT in the state of Tennessee and have given thought (off and on) to becoming a PE here but in 30 years of working, I've never really needed it. I think it's a great thing to do for yourself or in the circumstances where your work affects the public directly and therefore it is legally required (I believe). However, as I mentioned, it's never really been necessary in all the years I have carried out Industrial Process Control, Diestel Engine Test Cell Control Systems and now Telecommunications.

Still.... I might take the PE some day just to do it for myself.

Cranky B)