What's going on in our world?

Fatty

This is about a 13 month old girl in our area:

Inside the house, prosecutors say Duffield pummeled the girl to quiet her crying. She suffered bruising from head to toe, a severed liver, multiple broken ribs, a fractured ankle and a fatal blow that separated her skull from her neck and killed her instantly.

In addition, minutes to hours before her death, Jacqueline's feet and cheek were punctured more than 40 times with a tattoo needle, in what prosecutors say was an initiation ritual of sorts in a neopagan religion.

I've been fired up all day about this. My apologies to the community member that I went off on because I read into a comment they made that was quite possibly skewed by my frame of mind at the moment.

Where have we gone wrong in our society? Well, I have my own answers...but the big question is...is it just going to get worse and worse until the end? (whatever end you believe that may be)

The human capacity for evil is quite frightening. My personal views (garnared from Biblical influences) is that our flesh, if left to its own desires, will produce distorted views of reality.

A process of phsychoses maybe, but what influences led to this? Maybe none and they were naturally 'unhinged'. Or maybe it was a case of substance abuse. Or a host of other things.

But this is just pure evil. The verse (paraphrasing) and they did not like to retain God in all their thoughts... going to have to look it up.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Romans 1

Anyway, that verse came to mind.

This type of thing makes me sick too. The strange thing is, if you look at the rates of violent crime over that last 30 years, they are steadily declining. I'll try to find some evidence to back that up, but I heard it recently on NPR.

It seems that the ones we do hear about are horrible. I read an interesting book last year that discussed the notion of FEAR and how a government, whether formal or not, uses FEAR for control of it's citizens. Who is the number one supplier of fear and shock stories and can-you-top-this video footage? The media. The book also mentioned the media as a prime tool, albeit not always knowingly, of governments for spreading the fear they need for control.

Sorry about the tangent. I'll try to find a link...

Ignorance is bliss :)

My thought on this is that there is no real increase in this type of behaviour over the past several thousand years. People can be just vile. As society has evolved tho, so has communication; so you'll hear about this more. 20 years ago, this wouldn't have made the news in my area (about, what, 125 miles away?). Haven't seen it on the news here now. But you hear about these things thru other sources now, like the internet.

I'm pretty immune to this stuff anymore as I've seen 10x what the average person might ever hear of. But compare even that with the billions of people alive at any moment. This kinda stuff is still pretty rare. Has to be some solace in that.

Interesting you mention that, Its a tragedy what is going on in this world today. Just last Saturday, this occured at the High School I graduated from about 3 years ago. Sorry if this offends anybody.

A 16-year-old Wayne Hills High School boy dragged a 15-year-old classmate into a restroom stall and raped her, authorities said Monday.

The boy faces charges of sexual assault, criminal sexual contact and criminal restraint. He is being held at the Passaic County juvenile shelter.

The assault took place after Saturday detention at 10:30 a.m., said Detective Capt. John Reardon.

The girl left the downstairs hall to get some things from her locker on the second floor. There the boy called out to her, and she approached him, Reardon said.

That's when the boy pulled her into a boy's restroom and forced her into a stall, Reardon said.

"She knew him from around school," Reardon said. "This wasn't a boyfriend-girlfriend situation."

After a struggle and some time, the girl was able to break free and left the school, police said. She went to a friend's house and called her mother, who then took her to St. Joseph's Hospital in Wayne, where she was treated for bruises.

Later she was transferred to Chilton Memorial Hospital in Pequannock for treatment at its crisis center that cares for victims of sexual assault. Hospital workers called Wayne police Saturday night. Police arrested the boy late Sunday.

Juvenile trials and court proceedings in New Jersey are usually held in private. If the boy is later charged or tried as an adult, the case would be decided in public.

Mom showed me the article yesterday. I can't believe this happened. For a town like mine where people are so spoiled(I am not spoiled in any way just as an fyi) buying their children mercedes and BMW's, something like this happens. Just a year ago, the other local High school in town got busted with a number of students having drugs on them. Its really getting quite scary. Strange thing is with this case, teacher might be to blame since he/she let them leave an hour early.

This stuff actually makes me physically ill sometimes, and having family in law enforcement, I hear about--and see--a lot of it. However, it's important to keep in mind that good things happen too.

One of the most greivous problems in today's society is focus on the negative. The news media will spend an hour long special on how some people were murdered at a night club by some masked hooligan, but they will spend five minutes (if you're lucky) describing the heroic story of a fireman that saved two children from a burning apartment building. Now, if that fireman were to have saved the children and die in the process? Well, then we'd get a week long tribute, but if everything comes out to be happily ever after, then the news media assumes that it won't get ratings. It's sick, and it makes me angry. Local news is the worst at this particular problem.

How are we to advance as a society without hope? I say to quit focusing on the negative, and when these terrible things (and that is really terrible Fatty) happen, offer up what prayer and support that you can, but never lose hope. If we, as a society, lose hope for an improved future in every aspect, then we are doomed to fall victim to our own vices. Hope is what propogates peace and civility. Hope, my friends, never fear to hope.