mclaughlin and the bible

It's neither. Is that a fair answer?

I am going through a period where I am asking a lot of questions about my beliefs and how they compare to different religions. There are so many different ways to interpret the Bible - each religion seems to take the meaning that suits its desires best. Some are very strict, some are more inferential, and for some it IS a book of laws.

I'll say that if you honestly say it is a novel, a work of fiction, you can't claim to be a Christian, Catholic, or any other religion that bases its faith on the events and words in the Bible.

I believe it's not a novel. How's that? :blush: What made you ask the question?

I'm asking cause I see it as both.

I see people treat it as a book of law using this verse to prove this point.

I myself agree with that to a degree but then I find myself and other being too legalistic.

If I say well God is communicating to us in stories (parables) and real events being written down by people then how do we know what is law and what is not.

For example women being pastors, secular music, counter striking.

some people I know frown on all these things and use the bible to prove that they are all sins. I get a bad sense of using the bible this way.

Anyone familiar with this?

Aug

Well, I take the Bible literally unless it is otherwise indicated. I would have to accept the one about women pastors because it is pretty specific in scriptures. I would like to see the verses they use for CS though.

But even after taking things literally there is usually a spiritual application or even a prophetic one. For example, the seven churches in Revelation 2-3 are seven literal churches. But I also believe that the text is prophetic toward the different church ages as well.

Since I believe the Bible is God's Word and that he has perserved it for us today, I have no problem submitting to what it say specifically. To do otherwise would be to make myself (or anyone else for that matter) a higher authority than God.

cong,

I agree about the dual application. I always marvel at how a prophecy can be so directed at a person or people in it's time and yet be totally directed at a person or people thousands of years later.

I agree with you on rev and the 7 churches. It's kinda like the great commission. It was a direct instruction to the 11 but yet is applicable to all who follow. While it does not mean every follower will go unto every nation it does mean we as a community of people will reach other nations. So it extends beyond just the men he's talking to. Much like rev. I believe it extends beyond the ones it's written to. It has a Direct application for us I believe.

about the women pastors this is where I struggle with reading scripture as a law book. What would or does God think of churches that have women pastors. I am not convinced God would be angry at them. If he is then indeed we do read the bible as a book of law. I guess the question I've been wondering is what makes an instruction a MUST and what makes another instruction OPTIONAL? Any ideas

also when I say a must I don't mean for salvation I mean in accordance with Gods will.

Aug