Asus A8V Deluxe reading fans at half speed

Preacher

(edited)

Yesturday I went into the bios set-up and changed it to adaptive overclocking 3% when I rebooted it said my cpu fan failed. I opened my case and it was running fine (only runs at one speed 2000rpm) so I rebooted again with same error coming up. When windows had fully booted I checked my speeds using Asus program PC Probe and it is reading my cpu fan as running at 852rpm, my chassis fan at 800rpm and my power fan at 2500rpm. The problem is that my chassis fan is running at 1500rpm, my power fan(actually another chassis fan) is running at 5500rpm and my cpu fan is at around 2000rpm. Anyone have any clue why these would be read at half of what they really are? I just reflashed my bios with the Beta bios hoping to fix the issue but that didn't work (no benifits or new problems)

My system is running at CPU Temp-32 degrees C and MB Temp 20 degrees C

Onboard sound,promise,sata disabled - cool&quiet feature disabled- instant music disabled (these were done when I first set it up and I haven't made any changes here)

My system:

Soyo Dragon Case w/450watt PS

Asus A8V Deluxe Mainboard bios version 1011.005

AMD 64 3400+ 939 CPU

ATI 9600XT 256mb

Audigy 2 Platinum

WD 120gb 7200rpm IDE hdd

Sony DVD+/- RW

AOpen dvd/cdrw

Any help would be appriciated

Edited by Preacher

I tried setting to defaults in bios, tried uninstalling/reinstall of asus probe, tried updating to beta bios drivers, tried fiddling with all the different settings with the "cool n quiet" features (then turned em back off cuz I never used em before anyway) then I tried asking here lol

This isn't really a scary issue because like I said the temp is still at a very good range and the fans are running at full speed ( I have a manual knob for one and you can hear when it is at 5000+ speeds and it is still reading 2500). This is where I'm at :)

I have a similar board, the A8N-SLI, and I noticed that when I set the adaptive overclocking on, it did affect the speed of my mobo fans. I could hear the lower rpms...

It actually dumped out and said the system failed due to overclocking, then booted right back up at the same settings. :rolleyes2: I just went back to the bios overclock, as it seemed more unstable when it tried to overclock on the fly.

Currently the system isn't overclocked because I had some software issues that masked themselves as hardware issues, and set the bios back to normal during the troubleshooting, and haven't re-upped it yet.

It your temps are still good, and it's stable... go with it. :thumbsup:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Check on Asus's website for a BIOS update. This sounds like a bios bug. Also do a search on the support forums and see if others are having the same problem. It may be something Asus is aware of.

The one fan has a knob all others are set at nominal speeds.

I do not think this is a problem with the fans speed, its a problem with the reading of the speeds.

Actual fan speed is like 5500rpm and it's reading at 2750rpm. When this fan runs at it's lowest speed, 2200rpm, it is completely silent so I know it's the reading and not the actual fan speed.

bios update, fan controller's aren't compatible i guess and only read on one speed... i guess your only bet would be hope for a diff bios to work, other then that keep an eye on it or get a different fan controller. Do they have compatibility lists for that kinda thing ?

I wouldn't sweat it myself, just make sure you set a shutdown temp and a warning temp in your bios and you should be good to go.

So if I'm understanding this right, the readout is ALWAYS half-speed? And some are directly hooked to the motherboard, no fan controllers or anything in between (other than the one with the knob)?

What I would then ask is what fans you have in your system. I would imagine the RPM response to power is pretty much linear. So, in that case, your fan speed reported (if it's always half) should respond pretty linearly to changes in speed.

Also, do I understand correctly that the MB reported proper fan speeds at one point in time? Even the one on the knob?

I'm with Killer on this one, just seeing if we can't get a little closer to what's going on.

OK just tried new fan and it too is reading at half the speed it's actually going, so it is definately not the fans. The motherboard did read all fans correctly prior to overclocking. When I set the over clocking it immediately read the fan speeds wrong. And When I reset it back to standard the malfunctioning reading remained. I THEN upgraded the bios, so it read properly in bios version 1009 and when I tried all the setting adjustments possible with no luck, I upgraded the bios. This did absolutely nothing (positive or negative) The only problem is the readout, not the actual fan speed. All the fans are directly connected to the MB I don't have a fan controler.

Anyway that is where I am at :D

Thanks for putting those brains to work on my behalf

Well I'm just completely confused by all of this, but this morning I booted up my PC and the fans are all reading correctly again. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I guess I should be happy, but it is just so strange that it was happening in the first place. Oh well thanks for all the attempts :thumbsup: