A different but simple WIreless Question

Ice_Berge_00

So I have a netgreat WGR614 wireless G router. Had it for over a year now and usually works great. I was just wondering if I am on channel 11 and my neighbor, according to my laptops scan, is using channel 11; will that cause problems? SHould I switch mine to be on a different channel?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

This should not be a problem as your wireless network has a different SSID than his.

Yeah, SSIDs make all the difference in the world. Realize you're effectively sharing net bandwidth with him, but also realize that a 54 Mbps wireless connection is pumping through a 1.5 Mbps or 3 Mbps cable/DSL connection, so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, if your neighbor is not using his/her connection, there's essentially no overhead on that network and no competition for spectrum bandwidth. If you're moving large files between computers often and doing so over the network, either (1) invest in a USB dongle or (2) consider moving channels. I don't know how big a difference it would make, though, especially if your neighbor hardly ever uses his/her connection.

Also, some manufacturers have "noisier" transmitters which can cause interference, and D-Link's AirPlus Extreme has been known to cause not only interference with the channel its on but also with the two neighboring nonoverlapping channels (1, 6 and 11). So, if you start experiencing problems, you might consider moving.

However, like Preacher said: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.